Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

99 mercury sable: the rack put i still have no power steering..noisy

Customer Question
i have 99 mercury sable...
i have 99 mercury sable 3.0 and i have a power steering question.
the pump has been changed and the rack put i still have no power steering.
the pump burps out the fluid when you turn the engine off, but while it is running it is
hard steering and noisy. can you helpme.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Car
9/1/2009
Auto Mechanic: danny, Mechanic replied 8 years ago
danny
danny, Mechanic

Sounds like your lines are crossed. Check it out. You might have a bad replacement.

Thanks Dan

there is a muffler on the high pressure line i don't see how they could be crossed. in the replacement pump it said to replace the lines if they are over two years old. i have a 1991 f150 and it works
fine a little noisy but works better then the mercury sable.
i have been thru 3 pumps on this car and they are all the same.
Have you replaced your lines? They could be collapsed.
no not yet. but the pump sucks down the fluid and it sounds like it is sucking air.
Inspect your steering gear box.
i took lines off flushed them with brake clean and air air flows thru them freely, new rack & pump.is there supposed to be a valve at high pressure line at rack???

As far as the valve on the high pressure line I dont have the car in front of me. You can call the parts store and they can tell you if you have a valve that goes with the assembly at rack. Because they would sell it.

Thanks Dan

apparantly the valve is at the pump.i have replaced the pump twice,replaced the rack,removed the high pressure line & flushed throughly with brake clean & air flushed the return line also.i still cannot make the power steering work.could the high pressure line be restricted at noise suppresser (muffler)& resricting fluid flow but not air?while the vehicle is running remove cap on pump & you can see the fluid flowing but it looks like the pump pumps itself dry
danny
danny
danny, Mechanic