Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

instrument bezel on my 2002 996 needs to be replaced...car wash

Customer Question
The instrument bezel on my...
The instrument bezel on my 2002 996 needs to be replaced. A detailer at a car wash spray something on the lens that will not come off. The dealer wants to replace the entire instrument display which is $1000+
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Car
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/1/2009
Auto Mechanic: brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 years ago
brownjeff
brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
What have you tried to correct the damage of the display lens?
I have tried plexus, windex, water, and another plastic lens cleaner recommended by a detailer. The dealer tried to get it off as well.

Before replacing the display there is a product from 3M that is for the headlights (plastic lens covers). What it consist of is sanding the lens with several different grades of sand paper then a cleaner to clean it and a clear product to cover it with when done. It wont look perfect but it does a great job and a bunch cheaper than replacing the display!

You can get the product at any parts store.

If you still need help just reply, if not click ACCEPT when we are done.

Thanks,

JB

Can you give the names of the products I need to do this? As much detail as you can provide the better it is for me.
I think it is called a head light refurbish kit and I know it is made by 3m. If you tell the parts store this information they will know what your talking about.
Is this it?

http://www.repaintsupply.com/pd-3m-39008-headlight-lens-restoration-system.cfm
Yes that is what I was talking about.
brownjeff
brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
brownjeff
brownjeff
brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician