joe
joe, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ase certifed technician foreign and domestic
14074217

1999 Isuzu Rodeo: a metallic grinding noise..dashboard..power windows

Customer Question

My 1999 Isuzu Rodeo's engine shutdown while I was driving. I remember hearing a metallic grinding noise just before and after the engine was cut off. The blinker still has power and the dashboard indicators are lit, but none of the power windows work, and the radio does not turn on. Nothing happens when I tried to turn on the ignition.

Checking the fuses, all the fuses are intact except for the main, 100A fuse. When I tried to replace the main fuse, it blew as soon as I reconnect the battery terminals.

Could this be a bad generator? How should I diagnose this, anything else I should check for?
Category: Car
Expert:  joe replied 8 years ago.
<p>mostlikey it is a bad generator, You can pull it out and bring it to autozone for diagnosis, they will check it . or get a scan tool, at which you can borrow from autozone or your local parts place ,for free, you just have to put down a payment and when you bring it back you get your money back., Im thinking the bearings inside the alternator wore, and then it started to pull too many amps causing the fuse to blow. not uncommon.</p><p>thanx</p><p>joe</p>