Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

How does the belt for A C water pump go on?

Customer Question
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Car
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/1/2009
Auto Mechanic: George H., ASE Certified Technician replied 8 years ago
George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician

Hello I will help you with your question,

What Year, Make and Model of vehicle are you asking about?

What is the engine size?

Let me know and I will provide the information you need

Thanks

A 1998 Olds 88   3.8 cc

On your engine the belt goes around the lower engine mount so that will have to be loosened to replace the belt, Here is the routing diagram

graphic

REMOVAL PROCEDURE
The accessory drive belt controls all engine-mounted accessories. All driven accessories rigidly mount to the engine. A spring-loaded belt tensioner maintains the drive belt tension. A belt squeak, occurring when starting or stopping the engine, it has not effect on belt durability. The drive belt tensioner can control the belt tension over a broad range of belt length. However, there are limits to the tensioner's compensation ability. When using the tensioner outside of its operating range, poor tension control and/or damage to the tensioner may occur.
Remove the following components. Refer to Engine Mount Replacement

1. The engine mounting bracket lower nut.
  2. The engine mounting bracket lower stud.
  3. The engine mounting bracket lower spacer

To remove the mount components

You are only loosening the mount and removing one spacer so you do NOT have to remove the entire mount

graphic

Let me know if you have further questions about this procedure

Thank you

George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
George H.
George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician