Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

How to remove a blower motor on a 2002 grand vitara

Customer Question
how to remove a blower motor on a 2002 grand vitara
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Car
7/17/2009
Auto Mechanic: Ron Z., - Auto Tech - replied 8 years ago
Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Auto Tech -

Removal

1. Disconnect negative (-) cable at battery.
  2. Disable air bag system, if equipped.
  3. Remove ECM with bracket from blower motor unit under passenge side dashboard. graphic
  4. Disconnect harness clamps from dash panel.
  5. Loosen 3 nuts fastening blower unit.
  6. Disconnect blower motor lead wire at coupler.
  7. Remove blower motor from blower unitgraphic

Installation

1. Reverse removal procedure for installation.
do I need to pull glove box obviously

No, it should be accessable from just below the glove box.

graphic

had glove box out it seems alot easier to access all bolts with glove box out the screwss are on the side of ecm bracket and this drop down or what
Correct, after you remove the ECM mounting bolts, just set it aside while leaving it plugged in.
you would need a long phillips or 10mm on an extension to access without glove box removal and is air bag diconnnection a must and neg baterry cable as well
how do i keep the mice from getting back in I am a good wrench and the resostor is blown from last time which i will replace but i dont want to do this every few months

Disabling Air Bag System

1. Turn steering wheel so that vehicle's wheels (front tires) and pointing straight ahead.
  2. Turn ignition switch to "LOCK" position and remove key.
  3. Remove "AIR BAG" fuse from "AIR BAG" fuse box graphic
  4. Disconnect Yellow connector of contact coil and combination switch assembly.

• After unlocked, disconnect to connector.
    • Release locking of lock lever.
  5. Pull out glove box while pushing its stopper from both right and left sides and disconnect Yellow connector of passenger air bag (inflator) module.

• Release locking of lock lever.
    • After unlocked, disconnect to connector.graphic
    • NOTE: With "AIR BAG" fuse removed and ignition switch ON, "AIR BAG" warning lamp will be ON. This is normal operation and does not indicate an air bag system malfunction

Enabling Air Bag System

1. Turn ignition switch to "LOCK and remove key.
  2. Connect Yellow connector of contact coil and combination switch assembly, and be sure to lock connector with lock lever.

• Connect connector.
    • Lock connector with lock lever.
  3. Connect Yellow connector of passenger air bag (inflator) module, and be sure to lock connector with lock lever.

• Connect connector.

4. Lock connector with lock lever.

1. Install glove box.
    2. Install "AIR BAG" fuse to "AIR BAG" fuse box.
    3. Turn ignition switch to ON and verify that "AIR BAG" warning lamp flashes 7 times and then turns OFF. If it does not operate as described, perform "Air Bag Diagnostic System Check".
how many blower box bolts need to be removed there are if memory seves me alot you pic shows only 3 and dose not the cable hve to be romoved from duct intake air
Correct, 3 blower motor bolts, and no the cable does not have to be removed.
is it ok to take it out blower annd housing by just pulling air bag fuse which i guess is under the hood and disconnect the neg bat cable
Yes. After disconnecting NEG battery cable, wait 5min for system to power down. And the yellow connector is behing the glove box, as it states in the "Disarming Air Bag" procedure.
what are all the other bolts for and you are sure to remove only the 3 shown in pic and what about further mice prevention is there a way to keep them out the dealer said they came in the cowl i never see nay tracks
Ok. unfortunatley, im going to have to opt out of this question, as i have to go bed, and do not have the time right now to finish up this question with you tonight. I will forward your question to another Tech who can further assist you. Sit tight for one second, someone will be with your shortly...
does not the air bag fuse and neg bat terminal removed disconnect the air bag i thought u were never supposd to touch any of those connectors u showed me
are u closed now iyts 12.10 est will hapily pay but need the air bag thing seems a bit risky
where is air bag fuse box
will email you tommorow as i dont want to get killed by airbagSurprised
where is the air bag fuse box and is it impertive to dias able the air bag and what could make it go off i had the dealer do it the first time but looked a neg battery terminal and it was ner touched the air bag deploying is my main worry and touching any of the wires
Auto Mechanic: Randall C, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 years ago
Randall C
Randall C, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, tha lst expert sent you airbag disarm instructions. It is not really a fuse box but a type of plug that holds a fuse note in his picture and mine below. Unsure ho deep ypou are going behind dash, but always good idea to diarm bags whenever working around them. The fuse is at item #1 below

graphic

do i have to remove any cover to get at fuse and how do i know which wire is it colored
Before all that, what are you doing under the dash? blower?
yeas mice get into blower and i need to remove it i work on all my vehicles but had the dealer do it last winter i need to replace resitor and it looks like easy access with the glove box removed and vac out devris from mice there are about 6 bolts but was told by ur co that only 3 bolts would drop the unit so i could cean out blower and vac out vent the dealer never disconnected the neg bat cable as i can see it has never had a wrench mark on it

The blower is held by 3 , Unsure where you are looking to see 6

this is the blower motor

graphic

on a 2002 suzuki grand vitara there are at least 5 te mil phillips head bolts that appear to hold the unit on that is before u undo the 3 bolts that hold the blower unit to the housing that is what i mean thank you
get back to u later have to go
are u open on saturday today
I was easily able to remove glove box and vacuum out the debris without any of the instuctions and remove hepa filters and clean and vav reinstall without disassembling anything but glove box and hepa filter cover and filters and reinstall i looked into your instructions and the bolts for housing of air box that allows acces to does not jive with my 2002 grand vitara unless the blower motor can come out the bottom with the ecu removed there are at least seven bolts that hold the blower housing on
Are there 3 nuts in a circle around the blower motor?
Randall C
Randall C
Randall C, ASE Certified Technician