Tom
Tom, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
3827149

1994 infiniti G20: new water pump..belt..adjustment screw

Customer Question

I installed a new water pump 1994 infiniti G20. I cannot get the belt back on, turning the adjustment screw alone doesnt move the pullet at all   ????????????? what am i missing
Category: Car
Expert:  Tom replied 8 years ago.
Are you putting the power steering belt back on ?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
YES. i INSTALLED A NEW WATER PUMP. ALL I NEED TO DO IS GET THE DANG BELT BACK ON   ROUNS ON CRANK PULLEY, OVER WATER PUMP PULLEY AND AROUND THE P/S PUMP PULLEY. THE P/S PUMP HAS A BRACKET IN FRONT OF IT THAT HAS THE ADJUSTING SCREW
Expert:  Tom replied 8 years ago.
Ok this is what you do tighten the power steering back up its probrably seized the adjuster then turn the crank bolt clockwise and walk the belt on
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I WILL TRY THIS RIGHT NOW TO SEE IF IT WORKS. GIVE ME A10-15 MINUTES TO SEE IF THIS WORKS. I WILL REPLY BACK SOO. THANKS A BUNCH
Expert:  Tom replied 8 years ago.
No problem
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
THIS DID NOT WORK EITHER.   I TOOK THE ADJUSTER APART COMPLETELY. I PUT A BLOCK AGAINST THE FIREWALL AND USED A 30 INCHE PRY BAR AGAINST WHERE THE ADJUSTING SCREW ANCHOR BOLTS INTO TH P/S PUMP. I MOVED MAYBE A QUARTER INCH. I HAVE ALOT MORE LEVRAGE BUT DONT WANT TO BREAK SOMETHING. I SOAKED EVERYTHING WITH PB BLASTER AND WILL TRY AGAIN IN A LIL WHILE. WILL LET YOU KNOW.   AT THIS POINT IT IS STILL IMPOSSIBLE TO WALK THE BELT ON    NO WAY
Expert:  Tom replied 8 years ago.
Ok its a new belt im assuming not the old belt
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
NEW BELT YES SAME MAKE N P/N    I ALSO HAVE TRIED THE OLD BELT   SAME STORY
Expert:  Tom replied 8 years ago.
Need to have it on the crank pulley then the water pump then walk it on the power steering pulley is this how your doing it