Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

Where can I go to get my sat nav repaired. Mercedes say the

Customer Question
command system is at fault...
Where can I go to get my sat nav repaired. Mercedes say the command system is at fault
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Car
7/1/2009
Auto Mechanic: Tom, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 years ago
Tom
Tom, ASE Certified Technician
Is this a factory system or aftermarket ,what year is the car?

It came with the car - integral

New Jan 2001

Ok is the problem it does not read the navigation dvd?
Yes it tells me that a need another disc
Ok did they order you a new disc and id did not work?

I have several discs including France. I assume they tried all. I have tried all the UK ones.(I still have upgrades)

This is the second time they have failed to sort it.

In january it worked on and off - sometimes it would have you believe it was just going to continue with its usual "give me another disc" when suddenly one would get the normal screen for putting in the address. It would work till one made a stop and tuned off the key.

Other times it would light up straight away.but not last.

Now it never relents to a hopeful screen!

Usually most dealers will offer to remove the unit out and have it fixed at the factory for less then the new unit would cost,this suprises me they didnt even offer that,as for sending it out for repair there are few companies that actually do that and the ones that do almost cost as much as replacing it with a new one without the warranty my advise is to check ebay possibly a salvage yard ,or even mercedes corperate sometimes they will cover the cost of the unit you pay the labor ,even if you do find a company that will fix it you then need to pay someone to reove it then reinstall it your talking almost the same as replacing it id call mercedes corperate and see if the can help out
They did actually offer to replace it for £3000!
Yes, I believe so . It just tells you to find another disc.
Ok thats not to bad id replace it at the dealer as it will not cause anymore headaches and it will be covered under warranty if you send it out it wont be covered under warranty

It is out of warranty at 7 yerars old!

I had hoped this advice centre would know of technical experts to whom one could go.

I am not a computer wizard but I know that there must be people out there who could mend it.

Not to worry I tried

you did your best but my problems were not really in your remit

Even when its out of warranty the corperate office will sometimes goodwill the repair saving you the cost of the unit and you just pay labor ,either way the unit will have to be removed then see once its removed if it could actually be repaired if not they will replace the unit this will cost you more and more of a headache,theres no need to accept if your not happy with my answers im not here to take your money just here to help which I hope I did
Tom
Tom, ASE Certified Technician
Tom
Tom
Tom, ASE Certified Technician