Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

How do i replace front strut on 2000 chevy malibu?

Customer Question
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Car
6/23/2009
Auto Mechanic: nick, honda technician replied 8 years ago
nick
nick, honda technician
Home | Account | Contact ALLDATA | Log Out | Help BROCKS AUTOMOTIVE   

Select Vehicle | New TSBs | Technician's Reference Component Search:   

Conversion Calculator

2000 Chevrolet Malibu V6-3.1L VIN J
Vehicle Level Steering and Suspension Suspension Suspension Strut Service and Repair Front Suspension Strut Assembly Replacement

Strut Assembly Replacement
Notes

Removal Procedure

Remove the nuts (1) and bolt (2) attaching the top of the strut assembly (5) to the body (3).
Raise and support the vehicle. Refer to Vehicle Lifting.
Place jack stands under the front crossmember.
Lower the vehicle slightly so that the weight of vehicle rests on the jack stands and not on the control arms. Notice: Care must be exercised to prevent the drive axle joints from being over-extended. When either end of the shaft is disconnected, over-extension of the joint could result in separation of the internal components and possible joint failure. Drive axle joint boot protectors should be used any time service is performed on or near the drive axles. Failure to observe this can result in interior joint or boot damage and possible joint failure.
Remove the tire and wheel assembly. Refer to Tire and Wheel Removal and Installation.
Remove the brake line bracket.
Scribe the strut flange. Refer to Strut and Knuckle Scribing. Important: The steering knuckle must be supported in order to prevent axle joint over-extension.

Remove the bolts (6) and the nuts (2) attaching the strut (1) to the steering knuckle (3). Notice: Care should be taken to avoid scratching or cracking the spring coating when handling the front suspension coil spring. Damage can cause premature failure.
Remove the strut (1) from the vehicle.
Installation Procedure

Notice: Care should be taken to avoid scratching or cracking the spring coating when handling the front suspension coil spring. Damage can cause premature failure.

Install the strut (5) into position and install the nuts (1) and one bolt (2) connecting the strut (5) to the body (3). Hand tighten the nuts and the bolt. Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions.

Align the steering knuckle with the strut flange scribe mark and install the bolts (6) and nuts (2). Tighten Tighten the nuts to 180 Nm (133 ft. lbs.).

Tighten the nuts (1) and bolt (2) attaching the top of the strut (5) to the body (3). Tighten Tighten the nuts to 25 Nm (18 ft. lbs.). Tighten the bolt to 25 Nm (18 ft. lbs.).
Install the brake line bracket.
Install the tire and wheel assembly. Refer to Tire and Wheel Removal and Installation.
Inspect the front wheel alignment. Refer to Measuring Wheel Alignment (Front) or Measuring Wheel Alignment (Rear).

© 2009 ALLDATA LLC. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use
nick
nick
nick, honda technician