Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIANCE, AUTO AND TRUCK,FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DIESEL
17454363

Mitsubishi: the timing on a 2.6 liter in-line..cylinder..tdc

I have been trying to set the timing on a 2.6 liter in-line 4 cylinder mitsubishi for quite some time now and am having no luck. I have to my knowledge tdc #1 but it seems to not have power. Do you think that that it could be other issues?

I have followed the instructions in the haynes book..... however i am at a loss to why it has no power

any suggestions ?????
Was the timing off when you set it? Check you exhaust for restriction.What year and make? Let me know
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
unknown, exhaust free flows has new cat conv. 88 mits.montero
Does this vehicle have a vacuum advance on the distributor?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
yes, federal single port and recently replaced

Are you disconnecting the vacuum line when setting timing?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
yes-sir
If your cam timing is on and your set at 7 degress btdc then your lack of power lies some where else. Do you have the Mikuni carb on it?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
yes-sir recently rebuilt
SO it ran good before you set the timing back to 7 degrees? It ran good at 20dgrees btdc?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
not so much, thats why i am seeking more info. It had low end power and not much high end power and now that its been set to specs it lacks in both areas. It has good compression, just not much power.....whatcha think ??
I'm thinking your harmonic balancer may have slipped and the timing marks are not accurate. try advancing the timing back to 20 degrees, if this helps, advance a few more degrees. If you get detonation back it off some. Hope this helps
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
do you mean back firing by detonation? and how do i adjust the harmonic balancer ?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
is the silent shafts the same as the harmonic balancer ??

The harmonic balancer is you crankshaft pulley, it has you timing marks on it. it has rubber on inbetween the pulleys. when they get older the can spin inside. so when you set your timing, the marks are off and it may acually be retarded on timing. you cant adjust the balancer but if you advance the timing and you dont get "PINGING". then this can help determine your problem. Hope this helps.Tim

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Tim, i double checked all marks and got it set pretty close, however, now the starter makes a very ugly noise when attempting to start. Would the timing adjustment have anything to do with that since it never did that before?? How do i eliminate the omg noise?

jmd

does it sound like it is dragging real slow? If it is then tour timing is too advanced, back it off some.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Tim, i tried that and now it stumbles pretty bad when idling, any ideas??

and at what degree do you have it set?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Tim,

I set it back to the original of 20 degrees btdc and it stumblems about every 3 revolutions of motor. Any ideas ??

I would suggest that you pull the dist out and check the gear that engages with the camshaft and check for pay, wear or broken teeth
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Tim,

you need to pull the dist out and check the gear.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Tim its a new dist. installed 4mths ago. The gears look brand new...all of them.Could it be possible that rich or lean on the carb might be needing adjustment. If so, do you info for that too?

yrs i do butn the mikuni carb is the hardest to set up, we charge 3 hrs for this, its a hard job, i think its still in the timing or the exhaust, are you sure the exhaust is free,?

Iknow you said the carb was rebuilt, but there is no complete kit to do this, just partials, I replace them with a carter 2 brrel and everything is fine, I've never found, in 20 yrs anyone thatcan rebuild them. Just my experiance.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

yes Tim, the exhaust is free flowing, supposedly the guy who re-built the carb is a well respected tech. and has been doing this for many many years, he was referred by almost all the parts stores around when i inquired about the carb. Is carter a brand name and are they on the web ??? is it a take off and put on fix or is there many tricks to apply?? I will double check the dist. rotor button and make sure it is lined up properly again. Have you ever experienced it to slip once set ???

Not unles the gear is worn,
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
any feedback about the carter carb ??
We install carter 2 barrels and they work ggod
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Tim is there any specific place you order them from ??
I get them from napa, you must find a 2bbl cater with electric choke, and depending if it is auto or manual trans, you will need to adress that.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Tim,

Is there anything to consider to take out the stumble from existing carb? Do you have access to vacuum line diagrahm to narrow down the search? I have already verified that there are no vac. leaks, yet the stumble remains. any ideas ??

thanks for your help

Like i said before , the mikuni is thr most complicated carb out there, this is why they were discontinued shortly after release,we dont even bother with them anymore, I wish i could help you with that, But my opinion is it would not help you.Tim