Car Dude
Car Dude, Mechanic
Experience:  15 Years of troublshooting cars and being a mobile mechanic.
18800593

96 Infiniti I30: highway..spark plugs, fuel filter..radiator

Customer Question

My 96 Infiniti I30 is stalling when I come to a stop after being on the highway for a few minutes. It does not seem to happen while I am driving on surface streets, but as soon as I exit the highway, the engine starts to stall at idle or low speed. These parts were recently replaced in an effort to correct this problem: spark plugs, fuel filter, serpentine belt (was old), radiator (was leaking in top 1/3rd) and the battery was also replaced due to age and poor cold cranking performance. i also replaced the idle air control valve. There is no check engine light, but I can't say I know that it isn't burnt out. Any ideas?
Category: Car
Expert:  Car Dude replied 8 years ago.
HiCustomer

Does the check engine light come on when you first turn the key to the on position, similar to the other lights that come on.?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I will check it when I get home tonight.
Expert:  Car Dude replied 8 years ago.
If it does not come on, most likely the computer is bad.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Would a damaged Mass air flow sensor cause this trouble?
Expert:  Car Dude replied 8 years ago.
Yes it could but if you could pull a code that would be better as far as pinpointing the problem.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I am hoping my problem is not with the computer since that is $$$. If you don't mind, I will keep this channel open until I can confirm whether the check engine light comes on during start up. I had assumed the failure mode for the ECM is a totally dead car. That happened to me once on an on-ramp in a 93 Del Sol.
Expert:  Car Dude replied 8 years ago.
That could be... keep me posted.