Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

My 97 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX will start, but then dies within

Customer Question

My 97 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX will start, but then dies within 5-10 seconds. If I try to give it gas will die right away. Had this problem 3 times in the last 2 weeks. First, I was at a gas pump and my gas gauge was below 1/4 tank. Put some gas in and it started. The second time I needed to start it about 15 times but then it ran. Now it has 3/4 tank but couldnt keep it running. Started my car over 4 times today no problem
Category: Car
Expert:  Dan replied 8 years ago.

It sounds like your fuel pump may be failing. Do a fuel pressure test it should be 42-45 psi, if low replace filter. If still low replace pump. Here are instructions to replace filter. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.

Service and Repair
Notes

REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION

REMOVAL SERVICE POINTS

EYE BOLT REMOVAL
Hold the fuel filter with a spanner and remove the eye bolt.

CAUTION
As there will be some pressure remaining in the fuel pipe line, cover it with a shop towel to prevent fuel from spraying out.

FUEL MAIN PIPE DISCONNECTION
Hold the fuel filter with a spanner and loosen the flare nut. Then disconnect the fuel main pipe.