carmaster
carmaster, Technician
Experience:  custom building for 15 years automotive foreman
18812216

my truck and it wont start..power wire..it i lose power on both sides

ok i just ran a push button starter on my truck and it wont start. i ran a power wire from the battery to the toggle switch from the toggle to the push button and then from the push button to the small post on the starter . i am getting fire to the toggle from the toggle to the push button but when i push it i lose power on both sides of the button
Category: Car
Expert:  carmaster replied 8 years ago.
You need to run power to push button and from button to starter . Make sure to wire on the starter post marked (S) Be sure key is in on position.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
well thats the thing when i got the truck all the wires had been taken out i am using the truck for the mud parks only like i said i ran a wire from the battery to the toggle from thee toggle to the push button from the push button to the small post on the starter when i push the button i lose power on both sides of the push button
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Expert:  carmaster replied 8 years ago.
Have you tried taking the toggle out and run hot wire straight to button and from button straight to starter ?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
no not yet let me go try that but i would like to keep the toggle so my son cant get in and push the button and take off lol
Expert:  carmaster replied 8 years ago.
ok just PM me if we get disconnected Please leave feedback!
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
ok i just ran the wire straight to the push button and nothing i even tried to jump across the starter and i will barley even spark
Expert:  carmaster replied 8 years ago.
Alright , check voltage at starter on main wire . Sounds like the starter is bad.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
it better not be its brand new i will be really pissed if it is and how do i check the voltage
Expert:  carmaster replied 8 years ago.
You can check with voltmeter. Starter should engage if you jumped straight across. Unless battery dead or starter bad.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
it barley even sparked and i have jumped across the starter on different vehicles many times so i know what the sparks should look like and this one barley even sparks so the battery might be dead i hooked up the volt meter to the battery and it showed to barley be in the weak area
Expert:  carmaster replied 8 years ago.
Charge it up then let me know
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
ok man good night