JD, Vehicle Repair Consultant
Experience:  10+ years working on vehicles
16040521

how to set timing on mazda/ford z5 engine there are three key

Customer Question

how to set timing on mazda/ford z5 engine there are three key marks on crank pully wat to no witch one to use
Category: Car
Expert:  JD replied 8 years ago.

Hello and thanks for choosing JustAnswer.com!

To ensure an accurate answer, could I get the model and year of vehicle along with the size of engine please?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

1994 ford laser s

z5 1.5 1500cc

Expert:  JD replied 8 years ago.

Sorry for the delay. There should be two regular timing marks and one "Z" timing mark. For the cam, the "Z" mark needs to face straight up on the cam pulley and the other two timing marks should line with the cylinder head upper surface. For the crankshaft, the timing is correct when the locating pin on the pulley boss (pictured below) and "Z" mark on the cam are facing straight up, and the timing marks are aligned with the cylinder head upper surface.

graphic

graphic

Thanks again and let me know if you need further assistance.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

already set that up im tryn to do distibutor ignition timing

Expert:  JD replied 8 years ago.

Here is a free PDF manual for the Mazda Z5 engine. Page 25 I believe is where you need to look at on it.

http://www.mazda-auto.ru/docs/Z5_DOHC_engine_overhaul_manual.pdf