Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

2001 olds bravada: making noise..snow tires now reverse

Customer Question
2001 olds bravada was making...
2001 olds bravada was making noise like driving with snow tires now reverse doesn't work and having problems catching in drive
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Car
5/2/2009
Auto Mechanic: Jerry, Master Mechanic replied 8 years ago
Jerry, Master Mechanic

Hello and welcome to Just answer.com, Super mechanic here. About your vehicle.

There has been a service bulletin on the reaction sun gear, (updated part #) That is internal with the trans. Of course, you will want to check the fluid level. Here is what the bulletin states.

TECHNICAL

Bulletin No.: 00-07-30-022D

Date: June 10, 2008

Subject:
No Reverse, Second Gear or Fourth Gear (Replace Reaction Sun Shell with More Robust Heat Treated Parts)

Condition

Some customers may comment on a no reverse, no second or no fourth gear condition. First and third gears will operate properly.

Cause

The reaction sun gear (673) may not hold inside the reaction sun shell (670).

Correction

Important: There are FOUR distinct groups of vehicles and repair procedures involved. Vehicles built in the 2001 model year and prior that make use of a reaction shaft to shell thrust washer:

^ The sun shell can be identified by four square holes used to retain the thrust washer. Use reaction sun shell P/N 24228345, reaction carrier to shell thrust washer (699B) P/N(NNN) NNN-NNNNand reaction sun gear shell thrust washer (674) P/N(NNN) NNN-NNNNr (674) P/N(NNN) NNN-NNNNlong with the appropriate seals and washers listed below.
^ Vehicles built in the 2001 model year and prior that have had previous service to the reaction sun shell: It is possible that some 2001 and prior model year vehicles have had previous service to the reaction sun shell. At the time of service, these vehicles may have been updated with a Reaction Sun Shell Kit (Refer to Service BulletinNNN-NN-NNNN without four square holes to retain the thrust washer. If it is found in a 2001 model year and prior vehicles that the reaction sun shell DOES NOT have four square holes to retain the thrust washer, these vehicles must be serviced with P/Ns 24229825 (674), 24217328 and(NNN) NNN-NNNNalong with the appropriate seals and washers listed below.
^ Vehicles built in the 2001 model year and later that make use of a reaction shaft to shell thrust bearing: The sun shell can be identified by no holes to retain the thrust washer. Use reaction sun shell, P/N 24229825, reaction carrier shaft to shell thrust bearing (669A), P/N 24217328 and reaction sun gear shell thrust washer (674), P/N(NNN) NNN-NNNNalong with the appropriate seals and washers listed below.
^ Vehicles built from November, 2001 through June, 2002: These vehicles should have the reaction carrier shaft replaced when the sun shell is replaced. Use shell kit P/N 24229853, which contains a sun shell (670), a reaction carrier shaft (666), a reaction carrier shaft to shell thrust bearing (669A) and a reaction sun gear shell thrust washer (674). The appropriate seals and washers listed below should also be used.
Does the "snow tire" sound have anything to do with the transmission? Other than that noise the transmission went without any other indicators. I put the car in reverse and it made a high pitch whining/grinding noise, now it makes no noise and will not engage. When I put the car in drive at low speeds the rpm's mount before shifting automatically into the next gear. Could this be explained by the reaction sun gear? Will I cause further damage by driving?
That sounds like the reation shell may have shattered. That is bad because it allows metal fragments to enter into the rest of the trans. You don't want to drive it like that.It will eventually stop working all together. The trans would need to be rebuilt, or replaced.
Are you saying the transmission needs to be rebuilt or replaced now? Or are you saying the reaction shell needs to be replaced and if I continue driving, before replacing the reaction shell, the transmission will go and then I would have to rebuild or replace?
To replace the reation shell the entire trans has to come apart. Then all the gaskets and seals, and any other worn parts. That is basically a rebuild. It is going to go out completely it's just a matter of time. The more you drive it the faster it will go. When it gets done would be up to you.
I appreciate your help. I bought the car for cheap and plan on doing this work with a friend who has experience. Do you think if I replace the sun shell and gaskets, seals, etc. that the car will drive normally with all gears working? Can you recommend an online source for the parts?
Once the unit is gone through and the parts are replaced it should work as normal. I was using "Transco" out of Tampa Florida for parts, (back before the internet) but I'm sure you can could get parts from a sourse other than the dealer. I haven't been doing them lately outside of the dealer, we just get the parts from the parts counter.
Jerry, Master Mechanic
Jerry, Master Mechanic