Scott
Scott, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Ase certified, 24 years, bumper to bumper all makes
12331040

1980 dodge custom: ive changed the bulbs..inspected..pin point

i have a 1980 dodge custom 150 pickup. the tag lights are not working. i've changed the bulbs and i've inspected the wires that connects the lights, but i can't seem to pin point the problem. what else can i do to test and see if it's in the wiring or something else. all my other lights are working.
Category: Car
Expert:  Scott replied 8 years ago.

Hello Anthony,

O.K. I am sure it is probably raining where you are, it is here, so I need you to get under the rear of the truck. You will see a brown wire coming from your tag lamps. The wire splices into the tail lamp circuit brown wire. Take a test lamp and probe the wire. Got voltage? If so, and your lamps are the ones that the housing screws or pushes into the hole, you may have a rust issue that is causing a loss of ground, or bad sockets. {happens}

If there is no voltage, follow the wire ti the splice. You may find that once upon a time this truck was wired for trailers, and the wire is damaged.

Finally, any probing you do, like pricking a wire to test, take some silicone and dab the hole you made and wrap it in electrical tape, or we will be doing this again some day.

Good luck Anthony, and if you need me, I am here.

Scott.

graphicgraphicgraphic