Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

Kia: full tune..front end..the brake was applied sitting idling

Customer Question
My Kia went in for...
My Kia went in for a tune up, full tune up done, when returned I noticed a periodic pulsation in the front end seemed like it was under your feet. This occured mainly when the brake was applied sitting idling waiting to drive. Returned to the dealer 4 times, each time they figured they had resolved. This did not happen before the tune up but happened when they it was picked up. They noticed a cracked spark plug, they replaced all of them again, they flushed the transmission. Did a diagnostic and all cylinders firing properly and nothing was noticed. They then changed the harness wiring back to Kia wiring as they had installed another brand. This was the last visit, my wife picked the vehicle up yesterday, there was no problem then again today it started all over. The check engine light does not come on. The check engine came on prior to this tune up, they replaced some filters and I required a new exhaust pipe as they had noticed a split in the pipe near the catalytic con?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Car
4/1/2009
Auto Mechanic: jeffrey590, ASE Master Technician replied 8 years ago
jeffrey590
jeffrey590, ASE Master Technician
GreetingsCustomer

It sounds like the exhaust you had replaced could be the problem... The area of the replaced piece you mention is right under your feet...possibly a heat shield resonance or incorrect alignment to pipe when installed...you can check yourself by having a helper sit in the car idling in drive...then you go behind car and using a pair of heavy gloves or a couple of pot holders grab the tailpipe (hot!!) and push it forward and pull it backward repeatedly and have the helper see if there is a change in the feeling in the floor...jeffrey590

Jeff:

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX I need to clarify, originally they tried to cut and replace a piece of the exhaust, however a very poor weld job was done, they had trouble getting a proper closed weld so replaced the entire exhaust pipe.

After this while driving my check engine light came on, this is when they replaced some filters they said where clogged and I had a tune up done while it was in and all the trouble began.

The pulsation is periodic, comes and goes, no issue when driving as I said everything seems fine. Will try what you suggest. Thanks Stuart

OK...Hope you make out OK...I am here if you need more help...Please "accept" my answers if you are satisfied with my efforts to assist you...jeffrey590
jeffrey590
jeffrey590, ASE Master Technician
jeffrey590
jeffrey590
jeffrey590, ASE Master Technician