Randall C
Randall C, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  32 years Foreign / Domestic Cars All aspects of Diag and Repair
13677702

how to remove a oilpan from a 1998 oldsmobile achieva

Customer Question

Category: Car
Expert:  Randall C replied 8 years ago.
Hello, not showing on my end yet. What size engine? LMk Thanks
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I am a mother trying myself to fix my sons car. I just need to know how to remove the oil pan and replace a new one, PLEASE!!!! 1998 oldsmobile Achieva 1300 fsi v6 motor
Expert:  Randall C replied 8 years ago.
At first I could not view the engine size. I see it now. I will look up info and send to you shortly. Thanks
Expert:  Randall C replied 8 years ago.

HI, here are the directions. This is about a 4 hr job by the book. Kind of hard to do on ground. A lift is preffered. Hope it helps. Thanks

REMOVAL PROCEDURE

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable. CAUTION: Refer to Battery Disconnect Caution in Service Precautions.
  2. Remove the drive belt. Refer to Drive Belt Replacement.
  3. Loosen the upper A/C compressor bolts, if equipped. Do not remove the bolts.
  4. Raise and support the vehicle. Refer to Vehicle Lifting.
  5. Drain the crankcase.
  6. Remove the right front tire and wheel assembly. Refer to Wheel Removal in Tires and Wheels.
  7. Remove the right splash shield.
  8. Remove the engine mount strut from the suspension support. Refer to Engine Mount Strut Replacement.
  9. Remove the right front ABS wheel speed sensor harness from the right suspension support.
  10. Remove the right front ball joint. Refer to Lower Ball Joint Replacement in Steering and Suspension.
  11. Remove the right side stabilizer link. Refer to Stabilizer Shaft Link Replacement in Steering and Suspension.
  12. Remove the right side suspension support. Refer to Steering and Suspension Crossmember Replacement in Steering and Suspension.

1. Remove the lower A/C compressor bolts.
  2. Position the compressor aside. Support the compressor. Refer to Compressor Replacement in Heating and Air Conditioning.
  3. Remove the engine mount strut bracket. Refer to Engine Mount Strut Bracket Replacement.
  4. Remove the engine to transmission brace. Refer to Transaxle Mount Replacement in Automatic Transaxle - 4T60-E.
  5. Remove the oil filter.
  6. Remove the starter. Refer to one of the following procedures in Starting and Charging:
    • Starter Motor Replacement (2.4L)
    • Starter Motor Replacement (3.1L)
  1. Remove the flywheel inspection cover.

1. Remove the oil pain side bolts.
  2. Remove the oil pan bolts.
  3. Remove the oil pan.
  4. Remove the oil pan gasket.
  5. Clean the following items:
    • Oil pan flanges
    • Oil pan rail
    • Front cover
    • Rear main bearing cap
    • Threaded holes
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I don't understand I paid 9.00 to get help. So where is my answer
Expert:  Randall C replied 8 years ago.
Sorry fo delay. I do not understand. I gave you the book directions step/step on how to do the job above. You hit accept so i assume you got the directions