Car

Phoenix: overheating..neutral..traffic, the temperature gauge goes…

Customer Question
2005 Mini's temperature gauge shows...
2005 Mini's temperature gauge shows it is overheating after driving from San Diego to Phoenix. Scenario 1: if car is in neutral and sitting idle at red light or in traffic, the temperature gauge goes to red warning light within one minute. Scenario 2: though when driving her at normal surface/highway speed she regulates to normal temperature... Read full answer
2005 Mini's temperature gauge shows it is overheating after driving from San Diego to Phoenix. Scenario 1: if car is in neutral and sitting idle at red light or in traffic, the temperature gauge goes to red warning light within one minute. Scenario 2: though when driving her at normal surface/highway speed she regulates to normal temperature reading. The cooling fan does not engage after I turn off the car if I pull over to let her cool down.
Submitted: 10 years ago.Category: Car
3/20/2009
Auto Mechanic: John Hicks, Technician replied 10 years ago
John Hicks
John Hicks, Technician
Either your electric fan is malfunctioning or the relay is stuck and not letting the fan turn on. Use a multimeter to see if the fan is getting power when the car is warm.
John Hicks
John Hicks, Technician
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
Im from Indonesia, I have caravelle GL 2.5L '2003 petrol,
Hi, Im from Indonesia, I have caravelle GL 2.5L '2003 petrol, had a couple times overheated after long drive in highway or after some miles drive and and then facing traffict jam , the car stopped loo… read more
sprinkles08
sprinkles08
Technician,
Intermittent check gauge light for temperature. Goes to full
Intermittent check gauge light for temperature. Goes to full hot, is not overheating. Turn off car, wait 10 mins or so, back to normal temperature indication and no check gauge light. … read more
David Craig
David Craig
OWNER/MECHANIC,
Associates
Peugeot 206 hdi 2.0 ltr: hi i have a 206 hdi 2,0 . recently
hi i have a 206 hdi 2,0 . recently after driving for about 10 mins the stop light and chime came on and the temp guage rose into the red,it came down to normal temp almost immediately and the car drov… read more
sprinkles08
sprinkles08
Technician,
Stop searching for answers—
kia Sedona: I still have an ocassional overheating problem
I still have an ocassional overheating problem on my 2004 kia sedona with 150K miles on it. Sometimes when stopped in driver (like at a stop light) the temperature gauge climb toward the top of the ga… read more
sprinkles08
sprinkles08
Technician,
Mini Cooper..start driving..engine heats up, the temp gauge goes
I have a 2005 Mini Cooper (base). When I get in the car and start driving, all is fine. After the engine heats up, the temp gauge goes to "overheating", but only when I am at idle. If I am at a red li… read more
Master Class Auto
Master Class Auto
Diagnostician & Shop Foreman,
High School Degree & Automotive Col
2002 Lincoln LS: overheating..temp gauge..a cold start..highway speeds
2002 Lincoln LS V8 that is actually overheating or just saying it's overheating. Last year, temp gauge would spike up to the MAX suddenly. This happened soon after driving car from a cold start, or af… read more
Automotive Technician,
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
2002 Mazda Millenia: while it will cool back down to normal
I have a 2002 Mazda Millenia, (2.5), As I am driving the car will heat up to red. Then after a while it will cool back down to normal. At this time I am still driving. Why is it doing this… read more
Paul M ASE Master
Paul M ASE Master
Automotive College
bit concerned about temperature...fan runs..quirkof european cars
I am new to a Mini. I am a bit concerned about temperature. The fact that the fan runs for a few ninutes after turning the car off, was explained to me as a "quirk"of European cars, but I don't unders… read more
Lead mech,
Some college
Cooper..fan kept running after switch off,cooled down within minutes
2004 Cooper S,first time red lined today ,fan kept running after switch off,cooled down within minutes. What causes this condition?… read more
Joe
Joe
Shop supervisor,
1999 chevy malibu: litre..temperature gauge..cooling fan..radiator fan
I have a 1999 Chev Malibu with a 2.4 litre 4 cylinder engine. Quite often while driving in city traffic the temperature gauge rises past the normal level, and the cooling fan on the radiator does not … read more
Doctor Tim
Doctor Tim
Peugeot: the temp gauge went on red steam..serviced..fitted..lx
after anXXXXXwhile waiting in traffice the temp gauge went on red steam was showing from the bonnet I let it cooldown for a short while drove back home with out any further problem the car has just be… read more
Master Tech Wayne
Master Tech Wayne
93 buick park avenue: the freeway in california..overheat..overheated
My mother has a 93 buick park avenue. She said that she was driving the car on the freeway in california and it suddenly began to overheat. She said that the heat reader said that the car was in the n… read more
Master Automotive Technician,
2 YEARS COLLEGE
Stop searching for answers—
2002 Chevy Trailblazer: fan clutch..overheating..gauge..the highway
Hello. I recently (about 2 weeks ago) had the fan clutch and thermostat replaced on my 2002 Chevy Trailblazer (4.2) due to an overheating problem. It would run just above the 210 mark on the gauge whi… read more
Mazda Ed
Mazda Ed
Lead Technician,
1999 Honda Civic EX: 000 miles..highway..middle of the gauge..traffic
My vehicle is a 1999 Honda Civic EX with 118,000 miles. When I run the A/C and I am on the highway the temperature stays in the normal range, the middle of the gauge. When I enter stop and go traffic,… read more
RIP
RIP
Lead Technician,
my vehicle..running hot..replaced the thermostat, had a coolant flush
For the last year and a half my vehicle had been running hot, I only travel short distances with it now. I have not been able to resolve the problem. I have replaced the thermostat, had a coolant flus… read more
BOBBYSS
BOBBYSS
Automotive Repair/Damage Investigator,
2001 chevy malibu: check engine light..odb scanner..egr valve..fans
i have a 2001 chevy malibu and the check engine light keeps coming on... the temperature gauge keeps going past the middle and it trys to overheat.... i've had it read by an odb scanner.... i've done … read more
Hammer Time
Hammer Time
Mastertech,
1996 pontiac grand am: blew..overheats..heater..only cold air blows
I drive a 1996 pontiac grand am that keeps overheating. I just has a new motor put in in 2004, because the old motor overheated and blew the engine. This time when it overheats I turn the heater on an… read more
GENE
GENE
service manager/lead technician,
1991 Dodge Spirit: overheat..gauge goes..half way..air conditioner
My 1991 Dodge Spirit is starting to overheat. The gauge goes to the half way point almost immediately and will go all the way to hot within 5 miles of travel. If I turn off the air conditioner, it wil… read more
Hammer Time
Hammer Time
Mastertech,