Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

How do i change the timing belt on my 2003 hyundai accent

Customer Question
? Specifically, how do...
How do i change the timing belt on my 2003 hyundai accent ? Specifically, how do i adjust the timing belt tensioner when i install the new belt?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Car
3/13/2009
Auto Mechanic: KBB, Technician replied 8 years ago
KBB
KBB, Technician

HelloCustomeri will post removal and installation instructions below.If i can't post all of the instructions i will post again to finish.

Notes

TIMING BELT

graphic

graphic

DISASSEMBLY

1. Lift the vehicle by using of jack.

graphic

1. Remove the engine support bracket. (14 mm bolt and 2 nuts, 17 mm bolt)
  2. Remove the power steering belt.
  3. Remove the air conditioning compressor belt

graphic

1. Remove the alternator belt.

graphic

1. Remove the coolant pump pulley.

graphic

1. Remove the crankshaft pulley

graphic

1. Remove the timing belt cover.

graphic

1. Move the timing belt tensioner pulley toward the coolant pump and temporarily secure it.

graphic

1. Remove the timing belt.

NOTE:If the timing belt is reused, mark with an arrow to indicate direction of rotation (on the front of the engine) to make sure that the belt is reinstalled in the same direction as before.

1. Remove the camshaft from the camshaft sprocket.
  2. Remove the crankshaft sprocket and flange.
  3. Remove the timing belt idler.

graphic

1. Remove the timing belt tensioner.

INSPECTION
SPROCKETS TENSIONER PULLEY, AND IDLER PULLEY

1. Check the camshaft sprocket, crankshaft sprocket, tensioner pulley, and idler pulley for abnormal wear, cracks, or damage. Replace as necessary.
  2. Inspect the tensioner pulley and the idler pulley for easy and smooth rotation and check for play or noise. Replace as necessary

graphic

REASSEMBLY

1. Install the flange and crankshaft sprocket as shown. Pay close attention to their mounting directions.
  2. Install the camshaft sprocket and tighten the bolt to the specified torque. Tightening torque Camshaft sprocket bolt:.....80 - 100 Nm (800 - 1000 kg-cm, 59 -74 ft. lbs.)
  3. Install the idler and tighten the idler bolt to the specified torque. Tightening torque Idler bolt: .....43 - 55 Nm (430 - 550 kg-cm, 32 - 41 ft. lbs.)

graphic
graphic

1. Align the timing marks of the camshaft sprocket (A) and camshaft bearing cap (B). Then align the timing marks of crankshaft sprocket and front case with the No. 1 piston placed at top dead center on its compression stroke as shoved in the illustration

graphic

.

1. To install the timing belt tensioner, first mount the tensioner, spring, and spacer. Temporarily tighten the bolts. Next, temporarily tighten the tensioner long hole side washer and bolts. Install the bottom end of the spring against the front case as shown in the illustration.

graphic

graphic

1. Install the timing belt on the crankshaft sprocket. (1) Crankshaft sprocket - (2) Timing belt idler - (3) Camshaft sprocket - (4) Timing belt
  2. Install the timing belt on the camshaft sprocket. When the timing belt is installed on the camshaft sprocket, make sure that the tension side is tight. Then, check to ensure that when the tension side is tightened by turning the camshaft sprocket in a reverse direction and all timing marks are in line.
  3. Tighten the tensioner bolts. Tightening torque Tensioner attaching bolt: .....20 - 27 Nm (200 - 270 kg-cm, 15 - 20 ft. lbs.)
  4. Turn the crankshaft two turns in its operating direction (clock-wise) and realign the camshaft sprocket timing mark with the top dead center position.

graphic

1. Then recheck the belt tension Verify that when the tensioner and the tension side of the timing belt are pushed in horizontally with a moderate force approximately 49N (11 lb)], the timing belt cog end is approximately 1/2 of the tensioner mooting bolt head radius (across flats) away from the bolt head center.

graphic

1. Install the timing belt cover. Tightening torque Timing belt cover bolt: .....8 -10 Nm (80 - 100 kg-cm, 6 - 7 ft. lbs.)
  2. Install the crankshaft pulley. Make sure that the crankshaft sprocket pin fits the small hole in the pulley. Tightening torque Crankshaft pulley bolt: ......140 - 150 Nm (1400 -1500 kg-cm, 103 - 111 ft. lbs.)

graphic

1. Install the water pump pulley.
  2. Install the alternator belt and adjust the belt tension.
  3. Install the air conditioning compressor belt and adjust the belt tension.
  4. Install the power steering belt and adjust the belt tension

If this has helped please hit the accept button.

KBB
KBB, Technician
Looks OK. ILLUSTRATIONS don't match instructions, and i don't know why you say "remove camshaft"(p3)
I think what they are trying to say is to basically seperate the camshaft sprocket from the camshaft. The information is from alldata.
KBB
KBB
KBB, Technician