Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

How do I adjust the blending doors on my 2001 Saturn SL1?

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/8/2009
Pete, Technician
Hello,what are you trying to do exactly?Are you speaking of the doors for the heater and ac box?Thanks Pete

We were told that we have to blend the HVAC doors? We just replaced the thermostat and have great heat but only when we select the setting with head and feet.

is this a manual heater control system and not an automatic temp control system?Thanks Pete
yes, we control the selector
ok with this system the blending doors are controlled by vaccum and they are not electric.There is no adjustment.You could have a failed door actuator and if that is the case then you would have to replace the blending door actuator.
Pete, Technician
We were told that to adjust the blending doors that we would have to remove the radio and then do something after that. I just can't remember what. Is there a way to check the blending door actuator?

ok i just reviewed some new info on this,these doors are controlled by cables that go directly from the heater controller to the doors themselves on the heater box.Here is the procedure for checking these cables,there may be adjustments on the cables but it is not stated if there is or how to adjust them.

Object Number: 866425  Size: SH
    Click here for detailed picture of above image.
  1. Loosen the upper trim panel:
    1.1. Remove the screws located under the upper trim panel on the passenger's side of the vehicle.

Notice: Be careful not to damage the VIN plate when removing or replacing the upper trim panel.

1.2. Disengage the clips at the locations by grasping the edges of the upper trim panel and lifting up.

Object Number: 866534  Size: SH

Notice: Do not remove weatherstrips. Adhesion will be lost if removed.

2. Loosen the steering column filler panel screws.
    Object Number: 866699  Size: SH
  3. Remove the left endcap assembly.
    3.1. Remove the screws.
    3.2. Carefully disengage the clips at the instrument panel (I/P) retainer assembly locations. Use of a blunt tool will aid in disengaging the clips.
    3.3. Maneuver the assemblies past the inner I/P retainer assembly and the weatherstrips.

Object Number: 866450  Size: SH
  4. Gently pry the edges of the ignition lock bezel with a blunt tool and separate it from the lower shroud.
    Object Number: 866520  Size: SH
  5. Remove the upper and lower steering column shrouds and fasteners.
  6. Lower the steering column by pushing down on the steering column adjusting handle.
    Object Number: 866615  Size: SH
  7. Remove the I/P bezel:
    7.1. Disengage the clips from the retainer assembly by grasping the edges of bezel near the clip location and pull outward.
    7.2. Depress the wiring harness connector tabs and remove the harnesses from the dimmer/traction control switch assembly.

Object Number: 863550  Size: SH
  8. Remove the radio:
    8.1. Remove the radio screws.
    8.2. Pull the radio out slightly to access the rear of radio.
    8.3. Disconnect the electrical connector, antenna, and ground strap connector.

Object Number: 866646  Size: SH
  9. Remove the HVAC controller:
  10. Remove the screws.
  11. Disconnect the HVAC blower switch connector.
    Object Number: 861482  Size: SH
  12. Remove the temperature cable by squeezing the lock tabs together while pulling the cable, coiled end, straight up beyond the retaining tabs.
    Object Number: 859422  Size: SH
  13. Reach under the dash and release the temperature cable hold down clip by carefully pushing up on the plastic tab while pushing down on top of the cable.
  14. Slide the cable off of the temperature door hook.
  15. Remove the temperature cable. Service linkage shown in illustration.

Installation Procedure

Object Number: 859652  Size: SH
  1. Install the temperature cable over the temperature door hook.
  2. Snap the temperature cable hold down clip over the temperature cable holder.

Cable Identification:

Temperature Cable - White
    Mode Cable - Black

Object Number: 861482  Size: SH

Important: Ensure that the wiring harnesses do not interfere with control lever movement.

3. Install the HVAC controller:
  4. Install the temperature valve cable onto the temperature valve pin.
  5. Snap the slot on the cable into the HVAC controller base.
    Object Number: 866646  Size: SH
  6. Install the blower switch connector.
  7. Install the screws.

Tighten
    Tighten the HVAC controller-to-I/P retainer 2.5 N·m (22 lb in).

Object Number: 863550  Size: SH
  8. Install the radio:
    8.1. Connect the wiring harnesses.
    8.2. Connect the ground strap.
    8.3. Connect the antenna lead.
    8.4. Install the screws.

Tighten
    Tighten the radio-to-I/P retainer 2.5 N·m (22 lb in).

Object Number: 866615  Size: SH
  9. Install the I/P cluster bezel:
    9.1. Connect the dimmer/traction control switch wiring harnesses.
    9.2. Position the I/P cluster bezel by lining up the clip location.
    9.3. Snap the I/P cluster bezel in place by pushing at the clip locations.

Object Number: 866520  Size: SH
  10. Position the steering column upper shroud.
  11. Position the steering column lower shroud and install the screws.

Tighten
    Tighten the steering column shroud fasteners 1.5 N·m (13 lb in).

Object Number: 866450  Size: SH
  12. Install the ignition bezel:
    12.1. Align the peg of the ignition bezel with the cut-out in the lower shroud.
    12.2. Snap it into place.

Object Number: 866699  Size: SH

Important: Ensure that the endcap bottom portion is inside of the filler panel assembly.

13. Install the left endcap assembly:
    13.1. Maneuver the assembly past the inner I/P retainer assembly and the weatherstrips.
    13.2. Snap the clips into I/P retainer assembly locations.
    13.3. Install the screws.

Tighten
    Tighten the I/P endcap retaining screws 2.5 N·m (22 lb in).

14. Install the steering column filler panel screws.

Tighten
    Tighten the steering column filler panel fasteners 2.5 N·m (22 lb in).

Important: Ensure that the upper trim panel seal is correctly seated on the forward edge before installing the upper trim panel.

15. Install the I/P upper trim panel:
    15.1. Ensure that the hook-and-loop fasteners on your trim panel are correctly inserted.
    15.2. Position the upper trim panel on the retainer assembly.
    15.3. Align the tabs on the sides of the upper trim panel with the openings in the windshield garnish molding.
    15.4. Align the clips and the clip location.
    15.5. Firmly snap in the clips at the clip locations.
    15.6. Install the screws on the underside of the upper trim panel on the passenger's side of the vehicle.

Tighten
    Tighten the I/P upper trim panel fastener 6 N·m (53 lb in).

Pete, Technician