Bill
Bill, Technician
Experience:  International Truck and Engine diesel training, Ford Car experience
13917999

Gaskets..ticking sounds from under the valve covers and idled rough

Customer Question

I have been doing the lower intake(gaskets). I already had the job finished(on my own), and the motor made ticking sounds from under the valve covers and idled rough. I took the entire thing back apart to check the pushrods and the rocker arms. I may have switched around a couple of the pushrods inadvertantly. I need to know exactly how to verify that I reinstalled the pushrods in the original order.
Category: Car
Expert:  Bill replied 8 years ago.

Hello Alan,

The intake pushrods are identified with yellow stripes and are 5 ¾ inches long. The exhaust pushrods are identified with green stripes and are 6 inches long.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Bill

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
THAT WOULD BE VERY HELPFUL IF IT ALSO INCLUDED INFO PERTAINING TO HOW TO TELL THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE ROCKER ARMS THAT GO W/THE INTAKE VALVES AND THE ROCKER ARMS THAT GO WITH THE EXAUST VALVES.
   Please reply!    
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
   Please reply!     
Expert:  Bill replied 8 years ago.
That will be hard to tell, the rocker arm for the intake has a 1.6 ratio and the exh is 1.5 ratio. Some into I have found says they are both the same at 1.5. Can you clean one maybe see if they have any markings or color coding?