Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

Install a power steering pump for 1996 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme.

Customer Question
How to install a power...
How to install a power steering pump for 1996 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Car
3/1/2009
Auto Mechanic: Carfix4you, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 years ago
Carfix4you
Carfix4you, ASE Certified Technician
Hello , and welcome to Just Answer. At any time you have any questions about the question you asked, need wiring diagrams, images, or service information, don't hesitate to ask. I'll do my best to help you solve your vehicles problem.
2.2L Engine

See Figures 1 and 2

Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 1: Power steering pump mounting-2.2L engine
Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 2: Power steering pump bracket-2.2L engine
  1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Remove the serpentine drive belt.
  3. Place a suitable drain pan under the pump, then disconnect the pressure pipe from the pump.
  4. Unfasten the hose clamp, then disconnect the return hose from the reservoir.
  5. Remove the pump mounting bolts. They are accessible through the holes in the pulley.
  6. Unfasten the pump mounting bolt from the rear of the pump, then remove the pump from the vehicle.
  7. If installing a new pump, transfer the pulley from the old pump to the new one.
To install:
  1. Position the pump to the vehicle.
  2. Install the front pump mounting bolt and tighten to 25 ft. lbs. (34 Nm).
  3. Install the rear pump mounting bolt and tighten to 22 ft. lbs. (30 Nm).
  4. Connect the return hose to the reservoir and secure with the clamp.
  5. Attach the pressure pipe to the pump.
  6. Install the serpentine drive belt.
  7. Connect the negative battery cable.
  8. Fill and bleed the power steering system. Check for fluid leaks.
2.3L Engine

See Figures 3 and 4

Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 3: Power steering pump mounting-2.3L (VIN D) engine with automatic transaxle
Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 4: Power steering pump mounting-2.3L (VIN A) engine with manual transaxle
  2. Remove the air cleaner assembly.
  3. Remove the left side tighten strut from the engine.
  4. Separate the throttle cable bracket from the engine torque strut bracket and position it aside. Do NOT remove the cables.
  5. Remove the engine torque strut bracket.
  6. Disconnect the lines.
  7. For VIN D engines, perform the following:
    1. Unfasten the rear bracket-to-pump bolts.
    2. Remove the drive belt and position aside.
    3. remove the rear bracket-to-transaxle bolts.
  8. For VIN A engines, perform the following:
    1. Loosen the drive belt.
    2. Remove the rear bracket.
    3. Remove the front bracket-to-engine bolt.
  9. Remove the pump with the bracket from the vehicle.
  10. If replacing the pump, transfer the pulley and bracket to the new pump.
  11. Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure.
  12. Bleed the power steering system, as outlined later in this information.
2.5L Engine

See Figure 5

Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 5: Power steering pump and pulley mounting-2.5L engine
  2. Raise the vehicle and support with jackstands.
  3. Place a drain pan under the pump and remove the inlet and outlet lines from the pump.
  4. Lower the vehicle.
  5. Remove the ECM heat shield cover.
  6. Remove the serpentine belt by loosening the automatic tensioner as outlined in .
  7. Remove the three pump retaining bolts and pump.
To install:
  1. If required, transfer the pulley using the proper tools. Install the pump and bolts. Tighten the retaining bolts to 20 ft. lbs. (27 Nm).
  2. Install the serpentine belt and ECM heat shield.
  3. Raise the vehicle and support with jackstands.
  4. Install the inlet and outlet hoses to the pump.
  5. Lower the vehicle and connect the negative battery cable.
  6. Bleed the system as outlined in this information.
  7. Inspect the system for leaks.
3.1L Engines
VIN T AND V ENGINES

See Figure 6

Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 6: Power steering pump mounting-3.1L (VIN T) engine
  2. Place a drain pan under the steering pump and remove the inlet and outlet hoses at the pump with flare nut wrenches. Do not damage the hose fittings.
  3. Remove the serpentine belt from the pulleys by loosening the automatic belt tensioner as outlined in .
  4. Remove the three pump mounting bolts and the pump.
  5. Remove the pump reservoir as follows.
    1. Using a suitable prybar, remove the retaining clips from the reservoir.
    2. Separate the reservoir from the pump.
    3. Install the reservoir to the pump with a new O-ring seal and install the retaining clip. Make sure the tabs are fully engaged on the pump.
  6. Remove the ump pulley using a power steering pump pulley removing tool J-25034-B or equivalent.
To install:
  1. Install the reservoir and pulley to the pump.
  2. Install the pump and retaining bolts. Tighten the retaining bolts to 20 ft. lbs. (27 Nm).
  3. Install the serpentine belt and ECM heat shield.
  4. Install the inlet and outlet hoses using new O-rings, if so equipped.
  5. Connect the negative battery cable.
  6. Fill and bleed the power steering system as outlined later in this information.
VIN M ENGINES
See Figure 7
Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 7: Power steering pump mounting-3.1L (VIN M) engine
  2. Remove the coolant recovery reservoir and position it aside.
  3. Remove the serpentine drive belt from the power steering pump assembly.
  4. Detach the ignition control wiring harness near the pump assembly.
  5. Disconnect the inlet and outlet hoses from the pump assembly.
  6. Unfasten the pump retaining bolts/screws.
  7. Remove the pump assembly from the vehicle.
  8. Remove the power steering pump pulley from the pump assembly.
  9. Remove the reservoir assembly from the pump.
To install:
  1. Attach the reservoir to the pump assembly.
  2. Install the pulley to the pump.
  3. Position the pump to the engine and secure with the retaining bolts/screws. Tighten the bolts/screws to 25 ft. lbs. (34 Nm).
  4. Connect the inlet and outlet hoses to the power steering pump.
  5. Attach the ignition control wiring harness at the pump assembly.
  6. Install the serpentine drive belt over the power steering pump pulley.
  7. Install the coolant recovery reservoir.
  8. Connect the negative battery cable.
  9. Fill and bleed the power steering system.
3.4L Engines

See Figure 8

Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 8: Power steering pump mounting-3.4L engine
  1. Remove the air cleaner and duct assembly.
  2. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  3. Remove the coolant recovery tank.
  4. Remove the serpentine drive belt.

Siphon the power steering fluid from the reservoir before disconnecting the lines to avoid spilling fluid on the secondary timing belt cover. Use shop rags when disconnecting the lines to ensure any remaining fluid does NOT contact the secondary timing belt cover. Power steering fluid can damage the timing belt.

1. Siphon as much fluid as possible from the reservoir.
  2. Remove the power steering pump from the bracket.
  3. Disconnect the power steering lines. Plug the lines or drain the fluid into a container if changing fluid at this time.
  4. If installing a new pump, transfer the pulley from the old pump to the new one.
To install:
  1. Connect the power steering fluid lines.
  2. Position the power steering pump in the bracket and secure with the retaining bolts. Tighten the bolts to 25 ft. lbs. (34 Nm).
  3. Install the serpentine belt.
  4. Install the coolant recovery tank.
  5. Connect the negative battery cable.
  6. Install the air cleaner and duct assembly.
  7. Fill and bleed the power steering system.
  8. Check the system for leaks, road test and recheck the fluid level.
3.8L Engine

See Figure 9

Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 9: Power steering pump mounting-3.8L engine
  2. Remove the coolant recovery reservoir and bracket.
  3. Unfasten the ECM retaining nuts, then remove the cover.
  4. Remove the serpentine belt from the pulleys by loosening the automatic belt tensioner as outlined in of this repair guide.
  5. Disconnect the inlet and outlet hoses from the pump.
  6. Unfasten the pump mounting bolts, then remove the pump and reservoir.
  7. Using a suitable prybar, remove the retaining clips from the reservoir, then separate the reservoir from the pump.
  8. Remove the pump pulley using a power steering pump pulley removing tool J-25034-B or equivalent.
To install:
  1. Install the reservoir to the pump with a new O-ring seal and install the retaining clip. Make sure the tabs are fully engaged on the pump.
  2. Install the pulley to the power steering pump.
  3. Install the pump and retaining bolts. Tighten the retaining bolts to 25 ft. lbs. (34 Nm).
  4. Connect the inlet and outlet hoses to the pump.
  5. Install the serpentine drive belt.
  6. Install the ECM cover and secure with the retaining nuts.
  7. Connect the negative battery cable.
  8. Fill and bleed the power steering system as outlined later in this information.
  9. Allow the engine to warm up, road test the vehicle and recheck the fluid level.
  10. Check the system for leaks, road test and recheck the fluid level.
BLEEDING

See Figure 10

Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 10: Power steering system bleeding
  1. Fill the power steering pump reservoir with power steering fluid.
  2. With the engine OFF and the wheels OFF the ground. Turn the steering wheel all the way to the left, add steering fluid to theCOLDmark on the level indicator.
  3. Bleed the system by turning the wheels from side to side. Keep the fluid level at theCOLDmark.
  4. Start the engine and add fluid if necessary. Turn the wheels from right to left and add fluid if necessary.
  5. Return the wheels to the center position and lower the vehicle.
  6. Allow the engine to warn up, road test the vehicle and recheck the fluid level.
  7. Check the system for leaks, road test and recheck the fluid level
Carfix4you
Carfix4you
Carfix4you, ASE Certified Technician