Mr. Helpful
Mr. Helpful, Foreign & Domestic Experieced
Experience:  over 20 year experience 16 as independant shop owner operator
9019451

2000 chevy: wheel drive..the 4wd selector switch gos..jumps..park

Customer Question

Have a 2000 chevy z-71XXXXX, when I start it up the 4wd selector switch gos to 4w low instead of 2w low & when i change it to 2w low it goes but dont shift when driveing & then it jumps out of gear & I have to put in park & try again ,will go but not shift the transmission & drives like its stuck in 4w low any Ideals ??
Category: Car
Expert:  Mr. Helpful replied 8 years ago.
First, have you tested the shifter actuator @ the transfer case ? It has been my experience that this has most often been the problem. This part being both mechanical and electrical is pricey,have it tested first,but in my experience this has been the culprit 95% of the time.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
would that be the same as transfer case shift motor & how would i test it ?
Yes, removal on a scale of 1-10 for the mechanically inclined in my opinion woulb be a 3, so simply remove it ,actuate your switch to test for proper operation. I have found most often that they stick in one position or the other.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thanks so much hope this is it.

Most often this will be your problem.