Car

2005 hyundai sonata: we tried jumping it but it still wont start…

Customer Question
my sons 2005 hyundai sonata...
my sons 2005 hyundai sonata out of nowhere wont start. we tried jumping it but it still wont start. it does nothing. the lights are dim but working. it appears to have a small fuse like item on the battery. is it possible this is the problem; is it the battery or something else.... Read full answer
my sons 2005 hyundai sonata out of nowhere wont start. we tried jumping it but it still wont start. it does nothing. the lights are dim but working. it appears to have a small fuse like item on the battery. is it possible this is the problem; is it the battery or something else.
Submitted: 10 years ago.Category: Car
2/17/2009
Auto Mechanic: Kenny, Technician replied 10 years ago
Kenny
Kenny, Technician

Does the starter make any noise when you try to start the engine?

Was the vehicle acting different previous to the no start condition?

Where there any waring lights on in the instrument cluster?

when we turn it on, it does nothing. no noise, no clicking, the lights are on but dim (interior and exterior) and the radio makes clicking noises likes its switching cd's but does not work otherwise.

it was not acting any differently. it worked fine last night. he went out today to go to work and it was just dead. we tried jumping it but it does not crank, click or anything. its like we are not even jumping it.

no lights were on or are on in the cluster panel either. when we turn the key, they do light up (the usual ones) but nothing else.
It sounds like a faulty battery. A severely drained battery will not take a jump. So I would either replace the battery or check the water level in the battery top off all the cells with distilled water and charge it over night and retest to see if the vehicle starts then.
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
Driving home on a 300 mile trip and some lights came on and
driving home on a 300 mile trip and some lights came on and it shut down and had to get it towed … read more
EricFromCT
EricFromCT
Auto Technician,
I have a 2011 Hyundai Sonota just had the motor replaced
I have a 2011 Hyundai Sonota just had the motor replaced under recall .... now I can unlock my car with FOB interior lights come on but the dash lights are black nothing. I've put the FOB in the cente… read more
EricFromCT
EricFromCT
Auto Technician,
I just replaced the steering coupler in my 2012 Hyundai
I just replaced the steering coupler in my 2012 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid. After putting it all back together, the car will not start and the dash says “check brake”. When pushing the brake pedal, and pus… read more
EricFromCT
EricFromCT
Auto Technician,
Stop searching for answers—
My 2012 Hyundai sonata hybrid has no power is there a way
My 2012 Hyundai sonata hybrid has no power is there a way two jump start it. … read more
EricFromCT
EricFromCT
Auto Technician,
I have a 2013 Hyundai Sonata hybrid and it will not start..
I have a 2013 Hyundai Sonata hybrid and it will not start.. the 1st few attempts there was an alerting noise. Now nothing lights up and there is no response. I disconnected from the battery for 1 minu… read more
HDGENE
HDGENE
Wont start or turnover. The terminals are clean. 2006
I am fixing it myself. i have tried inspecting all wiring to and from the starter … read more
Gabriel Grey
Gabriel Grey
Master Service Technician,
Associates
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
Trying to find out if i have a bad alternator or a
trying to find out if i have a bad alternator or a blown alternator fuse on my 2006 hyundai sonata … read more
Chris
Chris
Its a 2011 hundai sonata turn signals stop working windows
its a 2011 hundai sonata turn signals stop working windows won't go down trunk lid won't open with button auto setting on lights stop working this happens everytime my wife shuts the car off then will… read more
davehop
davehop
Diagnostic Technician,
Ford Master Technician. Hyundai Master Technician
Range Rover and last night..jump it off, and we left it there.
My son has a Range Rover and last night after his basketball practice, it would not start. It was fine before and the battery seems to be ok. I could not jump it off, and we left it there. We are not … read more
HondaPlatinum
HondaPlatinum
1997 hyundai sonata: cranking..the steering wheel..head lights
my 1997 hyundai sonata is NOT cranking over at all. there is a clicking coming from one of the fuses under the bonnet and a red light flashing next to the fog light switch i believe ( right hand side … read more
Engineer,
2005 hyundai sonata: i cant figure out why the stereo wont work..blown
I just purchased a used 2005 hyundai sonata and the radio clock cd and tape are not working. :( the clock turns on every now and then, but i cant figure out why the stereo wont work???? The stereo fus… read more
jeffrey590
jeffrey590
Automotive Diagnostic Specialist,
2005 hyundai sonata: wont start..there is no clicking sound when you
my 2005 hyundai sonata wont start but the battery seems to be good. The lights on the insrument panel come on and there is no clicking sound when you try to start it… read more
brownjeff
brownjeff
Stop searching for answers—
2006 hyundai sonata: I parked it..ignition turned..lock button
My 2006 hyundai sonata was running perfect, I parked it and washed it, and when I tried to start it ....NOTHING? Also I noticed that it wont go into gear with the ignition turned on unless I use the s… read more
Doctor Tim
Doctor Tim
1995 mercury grand marquis: car today..engine wont start..click sound
I have a 1995 mercury grandmarquis, "out of nowhere" i go to my car today and try to start it and the engine wont start at all aii i hear is a click sound when i turn the ignition! can someone help?… read more
Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench
Owner of LJ Auto Repair 37 years,
1999 hyundai elantra: that i had to jump start..just wont turn over
i have a 1999 hyundai elantra that i had to jump start twice this week and i replaced the battery today now it wont do anything the lights and all power stuff works it just wont turn over… read more
Ted G.
Ted G.
ASE Certified Technician,
2005 Ford Escape: lights work..a clicking sound and wont start
I have a 2005 Ford Escape that will not start. It seems to have power (lights work, radio works, etc.), but when I try to start it, it just makes a clicking sound and won't start. Is this a starter pr… read more
Mike V.
Mike V.
technician,
Subaru and Nissan factory training.
morning he hooked the cables like this good battery pos to pos..batery
my wife and son jumped his car this morning he hooked the cables like this good battery pos to pos neg to neg dead batery neg to pos pos to neg now the battery wont jump or nothing no lights or anythi… read more
Diesel tech
Diesel tech
2001 Sonata: phantom shut-off that occurs and we are unable..warning
I have a 2001 Sonata, 2.4/4c. There is a phantom "shut-off" that occurs and we are unable to find the cause. There is no warning, it can happen while travelling(<45mph) or at an idle. It logs no co… read more
mike
mike
Real Estate invest/Pennsylvania Mechanic,