JOES SHOP
JOES SHOP, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER TECH 30+ YRS FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC ADVANCED DIAGNOSTICS AND TRANSMISSION REPAIRS.
9638808

1984 GMC: 4X4..a 4-speed manual transmission (5.7L V-8 350, 3/4 ton

I have a 1984 GMC Sierra (K)2500 4X4 with a 4-speed manual transmission (5.7L V-8 350, 3/4 ton, utility service bed).

Out of nowhere, the transmission is making a loud banging noise when the engine is running/driving, no matter the RPMs. The noise stops when the clutch is engaged. No previous problems or symptoms.

Here's my question: Is the transmission interchangeable with, will the transfer case bolt up to, ANY GMC 4-speed manual topload tranny, 2WD or 4WD, or 4WD ONLY??

I have the Haynes manual, but it's not clear (crystal) from the photos. In the Haynes manual, it looks like the fill cap and drain plug on the 2WD tranny are situated differently than what I've got on the 4WD.
The 2w/d tranny will not bolt up. Only the 4w/d will fit. It is to much work to convert the 2w/d tranny. And the parts off the 4x4 tranny that you need to install in the 2w/d may be the parts that are bad. Thanks, Joe
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thanks!!
Glad I can help. Let me know if you need anything else. Thanks, Joe