OnlineHelp
OnlineHelp, Mechanic
Experience:  Mechanic
9051600

my 2001 hyundai elantra is idling fast while sitting and when

Customer Question

my 2001 hyundai elantra is idling fast while sitting and when driving.
Category: Car
Expert:  OnlineHelp replied 8 years ago.
Hello and thank you for choosing Just Answer.

I would suggest that you clean out the Idle Air Control Valve, which is the part that controls the idel. It is mounted on the throttle body, you should remove it then clean it. Spray it down with a good parts cleaner. Also you may want to check for vacuum leaks along the intake manifold and throttle body.

Here is what the idle air control valve looks like.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
WE TRIED WHAT YOU SAID BUT IT DID NOT HELP.IT STARTS TO IDEL FAST WHILE YOU ARE DRIVING AND WHILE IT IS SITTING.
Did the check engine light come on?

I don't understand what you mean by "Idles fast while you are driving". You mean when you take the foot off the gas the RPM's are high?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
WHILE DRIVING THE ENGINE WILL SPEED UP ON ITS ON
Did you check if the throttle body closes all the way when the foot is off the gas?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
WHEN I STARYT IT UP IT WILL GO START TO IDEL FAST THEN IT WILL QUIT,AND WHEN I AM DRIVING IT WILL GIVE ABOOST FORWARD LIKE THEN IT WILL RUN OKAY AND THEN IT WILL DO IT AGAIN.WHERE CAN I GET A MAUNAL FOR HYUNDAI ELANTRA 2002?
Thank you.

If you take off the intake tube, and look at the throttle plate. Is it closed all the way shut?

You can buy a manual for you car from Alldata.com or you can buy it at most parts stores.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
IT IS CLOSED
In that case the only other way for you idle to go way up is if you have a vacuum leak or the idle air control valve is bad. Air is entering the system without you pushing the gas. Either the Idle Air Control Valve is bad or you have a vacuum leak, those are the way that air can enter while the throttle is closed.
I would check for vacuum leaks first, then replace the valve.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
we are still trying to find if there are any leaks and to see if the idel control valve is bad.we got new person working on it.if this works i will accept so you can get your money.