Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

I have a 2001 Cadillac Deville with a Northstar engine. The

Customer Question
car has 55,000 miles on...
I have a 2001 Cadillac Deville with a Northstar engine. The car has 55,000 miles on it and is in excellent mechanical condition with the expecption of one problem. Problem is that the car will stall once in a while typically just as the temperature gauge is getting to the middle point. If the car is stopped at a light it will stall. If the car is going down the road sometimes it will surge but not stall. Once in a while when it stalls the check engine light will go on and stay on but usually after sitting and restarting the car the light goes back off.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Car
2/12/2009
Auto Mechanic: FixItMan, Master Technician replied 8 years ago
FixItMan
FixItMan, Master Technician
HelloCustomer when the vehicle stalls will it start right back up? Can you keep the vehicle from stalling if you give it some gas before it stalls?

When the vehicle stalls ususally it will start back up but I have had two occasions spread over time where it had to stil ten minutes or so before I could restart it. When the vehicle stalls it is running smoothly with no surges or vibrations and it just quits so I never have any indication that it is going to stall. Also, I have the stall occur when I am driving. By example I would be sitting at a light, the light changes and I start to go and the vechicle just quits.

I have heard that there is an issue with the crank sensor on these type vehicles, I was thinking it might be that?

Thanks for your help

Del

Yes, it is very common for the crank position sensor to cause this type of problem. A dirty throttle body can also cause it but this usually will not happen when driving only when sitting at idle. I would change the crank sensor. Is this something you plan on doing yourself?

Bob,

How hard is it to change out? Where is it located on this vehicle?

Aside from this, the throttle body is clean, the engine compartment is spotless; what other possibilities exist to cause this to happen?

Del

This engine has 2 crank sensors located on the side of the block as shown below. If the crank sensors are not the problem then you may have a bad idle control valve or a mass air flow sensor that is failing. I would really recommend having the computer scanned for codes the next time this happens and the check engine light comes on. This would give me the best idea of what is going on.

Bob,

There was no drawing or picture attached to show the crank sensor location. Can you send that again? Can you also tell me where the fuel filter and mass flow sensor is located?

I'll accept the answer on reciept

Thanks

Del

I don't know why the picture did not show up. You will find them below. Let me know if you need more help.

graphic
graphic
The mass air flow sensor is #1 shown below. You can remove this sensor and spray it out with throttle body cleaner.
graphic
The fuel filter is #3 and is located under the vehicle next to the gas tank.
FixItMan
FixItMan, Master Technician
FixItMan
FixItMan
FixItMan, Master Technician