How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ivan Your Own Question
Ivan, ASE Certified Master Technician
Category: Car
Satisfied Customers: 4871
Experience:  ASE Master Tech w/ 20+ years in the field. Self employed for 9 years. Member of AUTOLAB radio show.
Type Your Car Question Here...
Ivan is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

2003 Cadillac Escalade: litre engine..I try to engage it in R or D

Customer Question

Good day, got a 2003 Cadillac Escalade with a6 litre engine which today , while driving , suddenly got out of gear and will not react when I try to engage it in R or D . It only reacts in P .
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Car
Expert:  Ivan replied 8 years ago.

HelloCustomer I hate to say it, but you most likely have an internal transmission issue. Recheck the fluid level, but I don't think that is going to help you. You are going to have to find refuge in your local transmission shop or repair facility. Just make sure whoever peforms the repair gives you a fantastic warranty. Companies like Jasper, remanufacture transmissions and offer a 3 year 100000 mile warranty. This is an expensive job, so you want to make sure you have a great warranty to back up your investment. This is the road you are about to go down.


Your JA Expert,


Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I actually checked the fluid level in the engine department and found out that it is whey over the mark HOT with idling engine. I have got the car a month ago and the worst thing is that I am from Romania , Europe , where the car is alocated now. Worst part is that I will find it difficult to find a proper shop to do the job here. What , in your opinion could be the problem and how much could it cost me?
Expert:  Ivan replied 8 years ago.
The reason for the high fluid level is mostly likely the failed component has released the fluid back into the pan, raising the level. The vehilcle location definately makes things a little more difficult. See if you can find a facility that will work on it, and I'll give you some numbers, here in America, that may lead to you obtaining the transmission. I don't know what the shipping would be on a transmission, but if you can't find a supplier, that will be your best option. First try to find someone to work on it, then let me know and I'll get you some contacts.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Do you mean that I will need to change the whole thing ? Ruffly how much will the whole thing cost?


Expert:  Ivan replied 8 years ago.
Yes, here in America, it usually runs from $2600-$3300.00 US.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Well, sounds like fun.....lets see what happens tomorrow.
Expert:  Ivan replied 8 years ago.
Let me know who you find, and if you need my help finding suppliers for you.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I have got a friend in Canada who is able to get parts and send them over. Is ther any other way to fing the problem as a specific problem or part ?


Expert:  Ivan replied 8 years ago.
When a transmission fails, contaminants flow throughout the unit, requiring a total rebuild. Usually fault is found during the disassembly process. In this case, once they determine or suspect the transmission, they will either rebuild it or install a fully rebuilt unit that they will exchange yours for. You will get a complete unit that will get installed into the truck. To get the proper one, you will most likely need the VIN# XXXXX your truck and possibly some information off of the transmission itself.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
How can I find out what type my transmision is?
Expert:  Ivan replied 8 years ago.
Your transmission is either a 4L60e or a 4L80e. To tell which it is, if you look at the pan on the transmission, if it's relatively a rectangle, its a 4L60e, if it is odd shaped with rounded areas, It's a 4L80e which is a heavier duty transmission. When you are ordering the trans, they will ask you for specific information that will help ID it for you.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Ca n I use a rebuilt kit? Got something on . please have a look on and let me know if this is what you mean .
Expert:  Ivan replied 8 years ago.

No, you can't do this yourself, Yes a kit like this will be used, but it takes many special tools to rebuild a transmission. Most repair facilites with sub this out and not even tackle it themselves. There are components that are not included in these kits, that need to be tested, measured and replaced if necessary. The inside of the case needs to be inspected and measure for wear and damage. This is a very complex job. This one you need to surrender to a facility for this. Even removing that transmission is a huge job in itself and can't easily be done in your driveway. Look at this site. This is Jasper. They are a huge rebuilder of engines, transmission and differentials. This is where I get my engines and transmissions from.