How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jeff Your Own Question
Jeff, Mechanic
Category: Car
Satisfied Customers: 36
Experience:  Mechanic of 10 years with own business and attention to detail.
Type Your Car Question Here...
Jeff is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughters car is making an awful noise.

This answer was rated:

My daughter's car is making an awful noise. She has been told the problems is something about "harmony balance". What is this and what would it cost to repair. She owns a Holden that is probably an early 90's model.

Hi ThereCustomer The part is called a Harmonic Balancer.

It is located on the front of the engine and 1. has a main section that is bolted to the crankshaft with metal grooves in it which tells the computer which position the motor is in. 2. Has a rubber section that absorbes engine vibrations and 3. has an outer pulley that the drive belt is run by that works the power steering and air con and alternator etc.

Anyway the rubber has broken and the inner and outer are clanging together.


If it were my car I would change 1. the harmonic balancer 2. the crank angle sensor and 3. the timing case seal. Depending which model commodore exactly the part usualy can cost up to $ 150 for the balancer and $150 for the sensor and the seal plus some labour about 1.5 - 2 hrs.


If you are sattisfied with my response please hit the Accept button and leave positive feedback.


Regards Jeff.

Jeff and 2 other Car Specialists are ready to help you