Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

2004 GMC: to remove the fuel tank..Denali

Customer Question
I would like to remove...
I would like to remove the fuel tank on my 2004 GMC Denali pickup truck, what must I do?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Car
2/1/2009
Auto Mechanic: FixItMan, Master Technician replied 8 years ago
FixItMan
FixItMan, Master Technician
HelloCustomer the instructions you need are below. There is a special tool required to remove the fuel lines. This can be bought at most auto parts stores. If you need more help let me know.

FUEL TANK REPLACEMENT (1500 CREW CAB)

REMOVAL PROCEDURE
graphic
  1. Relieve the fuel system pressure. Refer to Fuel Pressure Relief Procedure.
  2. Drain the fuel tank. Refer to Fuel Tank Draining Procedure (4.8L, 5.3L, and 6.0L Engine)Fuel Tank Draining Procedure (5.3L (L59) Engine).
  3. Remove the fuel tank fill pipe.
  4. Remove the fuel tank shield bolts and shield, if necessary.
graphic
Remove the evaporative emission (EVAP) canister.
graphic
  1. Disconnect the fuel feed line from the tank.
  2. Cap the fuel and EVAP lines in order to prevent possible system contamination.
  3. Place an adjustable jack under the fuel tank.
  4. Remove the fuel tank strap bolts.
  5. Remove the fuel tank straps.

graphic
  1. Remove the harness clip from the frame.
  2. Lower the fuel tank under the electrical connectors are accessible.
  3. Disconnect the fuel tank pressure sensor (1) electrical connector.
  4. Disconnect the fuel tank sending unit (2) electrical connector, perform the following:
14.1. Disengage the gray retainer.
14.2. Push down the black clip.
14.3. Disconnect the connector.
  1. Completely lower the fuel tank.
  2. With the aid of an assistant, place the fuel tank in a suitable work area.
  3. If necessary, remove the sending unit.

FixItMan
FixItMan, Master Technician
Hello Bobby: The diagram does not appear to be what my fuel tank looks like - I realize it is generic (probably) for GM products - however I don't see the EVAP as well. Could you adivse if the overall procedure will allow me enough 'drop' room to remove the electrical connectors?

Also: is there larger diagrams that could provide a better view?

Best Regards,
Keith Fujimoto
(Customer)
Also Bobby: what is the special tool needed for the fuel lines called or what does it look like?

Thanks for your help,
Keith Fujimoto
If you are removing the fuel lines at the tank as shown you will not need the special tool. If you are changing the fuel pump and must remove the in tank unit you will need the tool below.

graphic
Thank you for the detailed picture of the tool Bobby!
No problem. Let me know if you need anything else.

Best Regards,
Keith Fujimoto
(Customer)
This should be how your tank is mounted. It is vehicle specific. Can you tell me wha the differences are that you see?
FixItMan
FixItMan
FixItMan, Master Technician