Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

gmc envoy 2004 break lights. What is the size of the replacement

Customer Question
bulb? Is there any differance...
gmc envoy 2004 break lights. What is the size of the replacement bulb? Is there any differance on the letters after the number of the bulb? My husband bought new bulbs and replaced them himself. Now they stay lite.
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Car
1/4/2009
Auto Mechanic: Mauricio, Technician replied 9 years ago
Mauricio
Mauricio, Technician

2004 GMC Envoy
Low beam headlamp
9006
9006SU Silverstar ULTRA for Ultra Night Vision - The Whitest and Brightest Halogen
9006ST Silverstar High Performance Lighting: The Whiter and Brighter Halogen
9006XV XtraVision Halogen - The Brighter Light
9006CB Cool Blue Halogen - The Whiter Light

High beam headlamp
9005
9005SU Silverstar ULTRA for Ultra Night Vision - The Whitest and Brightest Halogen
9005ST Silverstar High Performance Lighting: The Whiter and Brighter Halogen
9005XV XtraVision Halogen - The Brighter Light
9005CB Cool Blue Halogen - The Whiter Light

Parking light
3357LL

Front turn signal
3357LL

Rear turn signal
3157LL

Tail light
3157LL

Stop light
3157LL

High mount stop light
Assembly

Fog/Driving light
880
880ST Silverstar High Performance Lighting: The Whiter and Brighter Halogen
H11-55W

License plate
2825
2825LL Long Life Upgrade: Up to twice the life of the standard lamp

Back up light
3157LL

Front sidemarker
194
194LL Long Life Upgrade: Up to twice the life of the standard lamp

Glove box
194

Map light
2825

Dome light
194

Step/Courtesy light
194

Trunk/Cargo area
212-2

Thank you for a very fast response. Front turn signal 3357LL is what you say

In the book it says Front turn signal 3457

You say:

Rear turn signal
3157LL

Book says 3057

Tail light
3157LL

Stop light
3157LL

is what you say and in the book it says 3057

We bought the 3057 bulbs for the stop (break ) lights

The package says 3057LL Sylvania

The old burned out bulbs say 3057 and the other says 3057K

So why would the bulbs stay lite the whole time the car is on? Why is your bulb different

then what my book says?

Give more details, you turn the truck off and the lights stay on?

The 3057 and 3157 are the same.

When the car is on and not pushing on the breaks they both stay lite with the new

replacement bulbs of 3057LL.

About the 3rd brake light is on?

Hi Again,

Forgot about that one! (crazzy me ). Ran out side to check it. No! That must be dead too?? Is that the same bulb? Is that why the other two are on when the car is started?

The car is GMC 2004 Envoy XUV.

Let me see if I understand, the brake light are on all the time, right?

Yes with the new bulbs the left and right are on and the third one just under the rear window that you said about is not on at all. I am sorry that this is taking up alot of your time. The book does not tell how to replace that one. Both myself and husband forgot about it since we are not in the back of the car.Thank you for putting in so much time for

some one that knows so little.

Key off the lights stay on?

No just when the car is turned on and running. Even before the car is put into drive.

This Truck has the Day time running light.
PARK, TAIL AND MARKER LAMPS
The park, tail and marker lamps, including the license lamps, are turned on when the headlamp switch is placed in the PARK or ON position or anytime the headlights are requested. The I/P BATT fuse in the engine wiring harness junction block supplies battery positive voltage to both the park lamp relay switch contacts and the park lamp coil circuit. The body control module (BCM) provides a ground or control circuit to the park lamp relay coil circuit. When the park lamps are turned on, the BCM energizes the park lamp relay. Current flow is from the park lamp relay to the individual park lamp circuit fuses and to their respective park, tail, marker, and license lamps. The front park and marker lamps are grounded at G107 and G103. The tail lamps are grounded at G401 and G402. The license lamps are grounded at G401. If the driver places the headlight switch in the ON position after the ignition switch has been turned OFF, the park, tail and marker, and license lamps will remain on until turned off or the battery runs dead.

The T PARK fuse in the rear fuse-relay block supplies battery positive voltage to a separate park lamp circuit connected to the trailer wiring harness

This problem just starts after you try to replace the bulbs?

Yes it does but the break lights right and left should not be on without stepping on the breaks. No one will know that the car is stopping with them on always.They did work before the bulbs burned out. The light just under the rear window is not on at all.

Just went back out and started the car. Pulled the car up and stopped. There was no difference in the way the lights were on. Could not tell the breaks were applied to stop.

Yes with the new bulbs

If did not have this problem before go over the bulbs again, Did you had both bulbs bad?

He checked them a second time and the one bulb was black and the other looked fine but he replaced the right and left break lights and did nothing to the light in the middle of the rear window which we can now see that one is not lite up at all.

Sorry it is takeing so long. I thought this was a simple thing to get done.

You should call your GM dealer because they have a recall on the taillight board, for 3rd brake light check fuse 16 10amp.

Thank you I did not know about the recall. When was the recall? The book says 16 is for ignition.

Would that cause the break lights ( right and left )to stay on?

The fuse 16 is under the rear seat.

Recall

Make / Models : Model/Build Years:

Buick / Rainier 2004

Chevrolet / TrailBlazer 2002-2004

Chevrolet / TrailBlazer ext 2002-2004

GMC / Envoy XL 2002-2004

Oldsmobile / Bravada 2002-2004

MANUFACTURER: General Motors Corp.

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 04V527000 Recall Date : OCT 27, 2004

COMPONENT: EXTERIOR Lighting: Brake Lights

Potential Number Of Units Affected : 871473

SUMMARY:
On certain sport utility vehicles, vibration and heat may cause the tail lamp/stop lamp bulb to loosen in its socket. If this occurs, the bulb may flicker and eventually become inoperative.

CONSEQUENCE:
An inoperative brake lamp will not convey the driver's intention of stopping to drivers in following vehicles, and an inoperative rear turn signal lamp will not convey the driver's intention to turn to drivers in following vehicles. Both of these failures can increase the risk of a crash.

REMEDY:
Dealers will inspect the tail lamp/stop lamp assemblies, and if necessary, replace them. the recall began on November 22, 2004. Owners should contact Chevrolet at 1-800-630-2438, Oldsmobile at 1-800-630-6537, Buick at 1-866-608-8080, or GMC at 1-866-996-9463.

NOTES:
GM Recall NO. 04087. Customers can also contact The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's Auto Safety Hotline at 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236).

Mauricio
Mauricio, Technician

Thank you so much for both your time and information. I did not own the car back in 2004 so it is worth the try on contacting the dealer who services my car about the recall.

Both of us will check on the fuse tomorrow. It is cold outside and dark. It will be best to do it tomorrow after my husband gets home from work.

Mauricio
Mauricio
Mauricio, Technician