Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician
Experience:  25 years of experience, Certified Subaru Technician and Nissan factory trained.
2921078

I need to replace the clutch in my 97 Subaru Legacy wagon (2.2

I need to replace the clutch in my 97 Subaru Legacy wagon (2.2 liter awd) I've been told it a lot easier to do pulling the motor as apposed to trans what's your thoughts. also should I replace the flywheel as well (the old clutch is completely shot) I could also use a quick how to overview, I have a haynes repair guide but they never seem to have the complete story.
Hi there! Do you have a lift available?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Probably not.. I might be able to gain access to one but I don't know yet
OK. Then I would have to say yes to pulling the engine. Trying to pull the transmission without being able to put the car in the air is tough.
As for the flywheel, it really depends on it's condition. If there are grooves then yes. You don't want to machine the flywheel. there really is not enough material on it.
The only tips I have that might save you some grief are : Make sure you disconnect the pitching stopper. This bolts from the trans to the firewall
When you go to pull the engine, put a jackstand under the transmission and lower the car or jack the trans high enough to pinch it between the floor and the jackstand. The less the trans moves,the easier it is to get the engine out. There is only one trans mount so it will want to move on you.
That should about cover it. Let me know if you need further assistance. Thanks