Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

2003 Cadillac Deville driver side door, can just the mirror

Customer Question
be replaced and not the...
2003 Cadillac Deville driver side door, can just the mirror be replaced and not the whole assembly? If so how would that mirror come out? Thanks
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Car
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/28/2008
Auto Mechanic: Scott K, ASE Master Tech/Instructor replied 9 years ago
Scott K
Scott K, ASE Master Tech/Instructor

Hello and welcome to Just anwer,

Outside Rearview Mirror Glass Replacement

Object Number: 611636  Size: SH

1. Remove the standard mirror glass assembly (2) from the housing (1) of the outside rear view mirror assembly.
    1.1. Manually tilt the mirror glass assembly inboard towards the vehicle.
    1.2. Insert your fingers behind the mirror glass and gently pull the assembly from the housing.
  2. Disconnect the electrical connectors.
  3. If one or both of the actuator shaft(s) (4, 7) come off with the mirror glass assembly perform the following procedure:
    3.1. Push the actuator in the direction of one of the two slots of the molded ring where the actuator ball attaches and disengage it from the mirror glass assembly.
    3.2. Ensure that the actuator springs (6) are not pushed down on the actuator shafts but are seated in the groove provided.
    3.3. Install the actuator shaft(s) (4, 7) on to the mirror assembly power drive unit (5) by pressing and rotating the actuator on to the power drive unit.
    3.4. Ensure the actuator shafts are pushed down completely into the power drive unit (5).
    3.5. Push the memory plungers (3) into the power drive unit. (If the vehicle is equipped with memory, RPO A45.

Install Procedure

Object Number: 611636  Size: SH

1. Rotate the actuator shafts (4, 7) on the power drive unit in order to align the flats on the actuator ball with the corresponding slots of the molded rings on the back of the mirror glass assembly.
  2. Connect the electrical connectors to the new standard mirror glass assembly (2).
  3. Install the new mirror glass assembly.
  4. Align the center pivot point and the actuator shaft(s) (4, 7) on the mirror glass assembly with the corresponding attachment points on the power drive unit.
  5. Use a 5 cm x 10 cm (2 in x 4 in) sanding block and firmly press the mirror glass with enough force to engage the center pivot point onto the power drive unit.
  6. Install the upper (vertical) actuator shaft (7), apply pressure to the top of the mirror glass assembly with the sanding block until an audible snap is heard.
  7. Install the vertical memory plunger (3) (if the vehicle is equipped with memory, RPO A45).
  8. Manually tilt the glass assembly to the full down position.
  9. With the sanding block, apply pressure evenly to the bottom of the mirror glass until an audible snap is heard.
  10. Install the side (horizontal) actuator (4).
  11. Manually tilt the glass assembly outboard, away from the vehicle.
  12. With the sanding block, apply pressure evenly to the outboard portion of the mirror glass until an audible snap is heard.
  13. Install the horizontal memory plunger (3) (if equipped with memory, RPO A45).
  14. Manually tilt the glass assembly inboard towards the vehicle.
  15. With the sanding block, apply pressure evenly to the inboard portion of the mirror glass until an audible snap is heard.
  16. Check all functions by electrically operating the outside mirror assembly in the following directions: (up, down, left and right).

Let me know if you have more questions

Scott K

Scott K
    Scott K
    Scott K, ASE Master Tech/Instructor