Car

Saturn vue: started fine..foot..brake and tried to pull the gearshift…

Customer Question
I have 08 saturn vue...
I have 08 saturn vue, 13k, put the key in to start it, started fine. Put foot on brake and tried to pull the gearshift back and it came back, but it was harder than usual. Moved it back and fort a couple of times and it suddenly got free like it is supposed to be and I went on to work. Got to work and could kill the engine, but the key would... Read full answer
I have 08 saturn vue, 13k, put the key in to start it, started fine. Put foot on brake and tried to pull the gearshift back and it came back, but it was harder than usual. Moved it back and fort a couple of times and it suddenly got free like it is supposed to be and I went on to work. Got to work and could kill the engine, but the key would not go to lock so I could get my key out. Dash lights stay on, won't go off unless in lock position. Also the gearshift and steering don't lock. I guess something broke, because the shifter was hard to move at first and then resistance suddenly turned loose. Maybe something broke, don't know? Any ideas, Thanks, Deanc
Submitted: 10 years ago.Category: Car
12/14/2008
Auto Mechanic: Tech413, ASE Certified Technician replied 10 years ago
Tech413
Tech413, ASE Certified Technician
Is the key turning now?
Yes the key turns on, starts and runs, but since the gearshift binding and hard to move, it won't go to lock and I can't get the key out. Dash lights stay on and runs battery down. It all started when I put the key in, started it and tried to pull the gearshift in gear. As I said earlier, the shifter was hard to move at first and then something broke loose and it got free. Just felt like something was binding the shifter. Thanks Deanc
Well Deanc it does sound like something broke or came lose. The connection between the shift selector and the transmission is made via a cable it is possible that the componet that hold the cable in place may have come free. If the shifter does not go back into park the key will not release. I would get it back to the dealer a soon as possible. Does the indicator on the dash show the correct gear you are selecting?
Auto Mechanic: JonathanOnny, ASE Certified Technician replied 10 years ago
JonathanOnny
JonathanOnny, ASE Certified Technician
sounds like you have a bad shifter. have seen a few of these go this year. these shifter assembies tend to stick while shifting from park to drive. you will need a shifter assemble this item is covered under you vehicles warranty. thanks for using just answer let me know if this helps. thanks again Jon
JonathanOnny
JonathanOnny, ASE Certified Technician
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
Shift indicator light stays in neutral, shifter will only
Shift indicator light stays in neutral, shifter will only move between park and neutral, will not go into forward gears and moves without resistance. … read more
Marty
Marty
Vice President / Manager,
Key won't come out of ignition - 2009 Escape. Just tried
Just tried turning wheel a little while trying to get key out … read more
Danny
Danny
Owner, lead mechanic,
I used my remote key starter before getting into my Kia van.
I used my remote key starter before getting into my Kia van. I am supposed to use the key to officially start the car once getting in. However, when I put the key into the ignition and tried to start … read more
gtnby2
gtnby2
Driver,
Stop searching for answers—
1998 Mazda 626: automatic transmission..all forward gears
Our 1998 Mazda 626 automatic transmission suddenly lost all forward gears while in motion, but still retains the rear gear. Is there any simple solution other than replacement?… read more
Lead mech,
Some college
1990 mazda 929: park..car starts..the steering wheel moves..gearshift
My 1990 mazda 929 is stuck in park. The car starts, the steering wheel moves, but the gearshift will not move. any suggestions. I have had no signs of my tranny having problems… read more
Towerpower
Towerpower
Shop Foreman,
96 Mazda 626: I cant get the gear to move out of park
I have a 96 Mazda 626. I can't get the gear to move out of park. It's like it's stuck or something. I got a friend to check it out and the only way he can get it out of park is to cut the car off and … read more
Towerpower
Towerpower
Shop Foreman,
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
I TRIED TO SHOT THE TRUCK OF BUT MY KEY WONT COME OUT , itS STUCK
WHEN I GOT HOME I TRIED TO SHOT THE TRUCK OF BUT MY KEY WON'T COME OUT , IT'S STUCK AND I DON'T KNOW HOW TO GET IT OUT… read more
Randall C
Randall C
Auto Technician / Consultant,
The key lock cylinder switch in my 1997 Saturn SL1 model was
The key lock cylinder switch in my 1997 Saturn SL1 model was replaced first replaced in 2005. On 11/5/08 the key lock cylinder was replaced along with the park lock switch. The key continued to get st… read more
JonathanOnny
JonathanOnny
ASE Certified Technician,
manual shift on my 1998 plymouth Breeze will only shift..next morning
The manual shift on my 1998 Plymouth Breeze will only shift into 1st and 2nd gear. This happened suddenly. I parked my car after work and the next morning I could only access 1st and 2nd gear. When I … read more
Derrick
Derrick
2003 Saturn Vue: My key is stuck in the ignition..between Lock and acc
My key is stuck in the ignition of my 2003 Saturn Vue. It is between Lock and Acc. It will not come out or move at all. The steering wheel turns but the key is just completely stuck.… read more
Rexcars27
Rexcars27
My Saturn dealer are unable to fix the ignition key lock problem
My Saturn dealer are unable to fix the ignition key lock problem in my 2005 Saturn Ion with 18,000 km. The intermittent problem is that I have to jiggle the key to withdraw the key. They have changed … read more
ATCAT
ATCAT
Master GM Tech,
2003 Saturn Vue: door locks..it to a GM dealership (Cadillac & Chevy)
My 2003 Saturn Vue key fobs no longer operate my door locks. Since we do not have a Saturn dealer in the town where I live, I brought it to a GM dealership (Cadillac & Chevy). They could not reprogram… read more
goodwrench9124
goodwrench9124
Lead Tech/ Shop Leader,
Stop searching for answers—
2005 Saturn Vue XE: AWD..specs..highway..run 2 tanks of gas
i just bought a 2005 Saturn Vue XE AWD with 29,400 miles and a 3.5L engine. Saturn specs say this vehicle is suppose to get 19-24 mpg city and better on highway. I have run 2 tanks of gas with Lucas i… read more
Ted G.
Ted G.
ASE Certified Technician,
1994 plymouth sundance with a manual transmission...shifter..4th gear
I have a 1994 Plymouth Sundance with a manual transmission. Cable broke on the shifter and is now stuck in 4th gear. Can this be repaired easily without having to drop transmission?… read more
Mike V.
Mike V.
technician,
Subaru and Nissan factory training.
2003 Saturn Vue: SUV...the locks make a clicking noise..engaging
Hello, I own a 2003 Saturn Vue SUV. While driving the locks make a clicking noise like they are engaging but they don't actually move they just make the sound. Thanks, Ed… read more
Larry
Larry
Technical Editor,
Saturn Vue: move the steering wheel to a position..car is in park.
I can't put the key in my Saturn Vue. This happened before but I could move the steering wheel to a position where I could put the key in. The car is in park. What's wrong?… read more
BOBBYSS
BOBBYSS
Automotive Repair/Damage Investigator,
99 honda accord: park..my emergency brake is off and everything else
I have a 99 honda accord and I cant get my car out of park. I have checked to see if my emergency brake is off and everything else. What could be the problem and what can I do to fix?… read more
RIP
RIP
Lead Technician,
1999 Ford Mustang: V6..automatic..The shifter gets stuck in park
I have a 1999 Ford Mustang V6 automatic. The shifter gets stuck in park. The button will not push in. I have had this car for 4 years and have never had this problem. Please help.… read more
Brian
Brian
Automotive Service Consultant/Technician,
Bachelor Degree