Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

2000 kia sportage: shift..it is warmed..check engine light..trans

Customer Question
hello I have a 2000...
hello I have a 2000 kia sportage when it is cold it will not shift into overdive until it is warmed up the check engine light is on and the o/d light is flashing we changed the trans. fluid no change. codes p1624. p1500. p501 are showing .                          the speedom. only works part of the time
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Car
12/1/2008
Auto Mechanic: Amedee, Former ASE Master Tech replied 8 years ago
Amedee
Amedee, Former ASE Master Tech
graphic

graphic

graphic
graphic
Amedee
Amedee, Former ASE Master Tech
this has not told me any thing that I have not found out by myself and that did not cost me $9.00 I was hoping that you would put it in english for me be cause I do not know what c137, c205, vss or anything like that is I am sure that I can look all that up but I thought I would get a different kind of answer from this site than what I have looked up for myself .

THe C #'s are connector numbers. THe VSS is the vehicles speed sensor.

The next thing on the list is going to be checking the transmission.

WOuld you like the transmission tests?

thank you that helps I had no idea what they was and what is the transmission test ?

THe only thing that code p1624 means in there is a request from the transmission computer to the engine com,computer. THIs just means that the computer for the trans is telling the engine computer to turn on the check engine light.

graphic

No. P1500: Vehicle Speed signal from meter set

graphic

INPUT/TURBINE SPEED SENSOR
Inspection

1. Chock wheels.
  2. Raise one rear wheel off the ground.
  3. Disconnect the input/turbine speed sensor connector (the 2 pins connector located at the rear of the transmission, driver's side).
  4. Connect an ohmmeter between the terminals to the sensor.

graphic

1. Spin the drive wheels and check that the meter needle deflects from 0 to 41 ohms.

INPUT SPEED SENSOR
Inspection

1. Check wheels.
  2. Raise one rear wheel off the ground.
  5. Spin the drive wheels and check that the meter needle deflects from 0 to 41 ohms.

Vehicle Speed Sensor Circuit

Using suitable lifting equipment, raise the vehicle enough to get all four wheels off the ground.
Locate connector C211.
Using a multimeter set to measure for voltage, back probe the blue/green wire at terminal 42 with the positive probe and ground the negative probe.
Have a helper turn the ignition switch to "ON" and then turn one of the drive wheels to rotate the speed sensor. Voltage should change back and forth between approximately 0 and 5 volts as the speed sensor rotates.
If the voltage is not as specified, check the power supply circuit to the vehicle speed sensor. Using a multimeter set to measure for voltage, locate the speed sensor connector and back probe the green/red wire at terminal 3 with the positive probe and ground the negative probe. Voltage should be approximately 12 volts .
If the specification is not met, repair the power supply circuit. If the specification is met, check the vehicle speed sensor.
Vehicle Speed Sensor

Using a multimeter set to measure for voltage and a jumper from the battery positive terminal routed to the inside of the vehicle and connected to the positive probe, locate the speed sensor connector and back probe the blue/black wire at terminal I with the negative probe.
Have a helper turn the ignition switch to "ON" and then turn one of the drive wheels to rotate the speed sensor. Voltage should change back and fourth between approximately 0 and 12 volts as the speed sensor rotates.
If the specification is not met, replace the vehicle speed sensor

Amedee
Amedee
Amedee, Former ASE Master Tech