Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

how is a timing belt install really supposed to go on a 99 cadillac catera.

I've read several install referance...
I've read several install referance publications on this engine.all have me going wrong. the illustrations show the machined slot on the crankshaft beltdrive gear. you align this slot with a slot on the oil pump housing. first install J 42069-10 at 60 degrees before TDC then move crank in engine rotational direction until lever firmly contacts waterpump pulley flange. that puts crank slot at 6-oclock. puts my #1 piston down in cyl. by#1cyl. i mean pass. side front cyl. are the illustrations wrong? my J 42069-10 seems to only bolt on one way. thats with the slot at 6-oclock position.
12/1/2008
RICK
RICK, ASE Certified Technician

HICustomer

i know rejected last answer, here is info in gm service info, has to be correct..

1999 Cadillac Catera | Catera (VIN V) Service Manual | Document ID: 362175

Timing Belt Timing Adjustment

Timing Belt Adjustment Checking

Tools Required

J 42069 Timing Belt Alignment Kit
J 42098 Crank Hub Torx Socket

Important: The following steps are the continuation of Timing Belt Replacement and must not be performed as a stand-alone operation.

It is not uncommon to make several repeated adjustments and engine revolutions to achieve the proper timing belt alignment set points.

Important: Whenever timing belt adjustment is necessary, always start with, and adjust, camshafts 3 and 4 first.

1. Apply the J 42069-20 to camshaft gears 3 and 4.
  2. Inspect the relationship of the marks on the camshaft gears to the marks on the J 42069-20. They must match exactly, if not, timing belt adjustment is required.
  3. Apply the J 42069-20 to camshaft gears 1 and 2.
  4. Inspect the relationship of the marks on the camshaft gears to the marks on the J 42069-20. They must match exactly, if not, timing belt adjustment is required.
  5. Continue to the next applicable procedure:

Marks on Camshaft Gears 3 and 4 Align to the LEFT of J 42069-20

1. Loosen the timing belt idler pulley for camshaft gears 3 & 4.
    Object Number: 345814  Size: MH

2. Use the J 42069-40 to turn eccentric on the idler pulley COUNTERCLOCKWISE until the marks on the camshaft gears and on the J 42069-20 are in alignment (the high point of the idler pulley eccentric will be in approximately the 12 o'clock position).

Tighten
    Tighten the timing belt idler pulley bolt, while holding the eccentric in place with the J 42069-40 to prevent movement, to 40 N·m (30 lb ft).

3. Remove the J 42069-10 and the J 42069-20.
  4. Turn the crankshaft in the engine rotational direction two revolutions with the J 42098 . Stop at 60 degrees BTDC.
  5. Install the J 42069-10 to the crankshaft drive gear with the knurled bolt.
  6. Use the J 42098 to carefully turn the crankshaft until the lever of the J 42069-10 firmly contacts the water pump pulley flange.
  7. Secure the moveable lever of the tool to the water pump pulley flange.
  8. Install the J 42069-20 to camshaft gears 3 & 4.
  9. Inspect the alignment of the marks on the camshaft gears in reference to the marks on the J 42069-20.
  10. Repeat the procedure again if the marks do not align.
  11. If camshaft gears 3 and 4 are properly aligned, continue checking the timing belt adjustment of camshaft gears 1 & 2. Make necessary corrections as outlined further on in this section.
  12. AFTER all applicable camshaft gear adjustments are made, set the final timing belt tensioner as outlined in Timing Belt Tensioner Adjustment at the end of this procedure.

Marks on Camshaft Gears 3 and 4 Align to the RIGHT of J 42069-20

Object Number: 345821  Size: MH

2. Slacken the timing belt by turning the eccentric on the idler pulley CLOCKWISE with the J 42069-40 until the marks on the camshaft gears and the marks on the J 42069-20 are in alignment (the high point of the idler pulley eccentric will be in approximately the 12 o'clock position).

Tighten
    Tighten the timing belt idler pulley bolt, while holding the eccentric in place with the J 42069-40 Adjustment Wrench to prevent movement, to 40 N·m (30 lb ft).

11. If camshaft gears 3 and 4 are properly aligned, continue checking the timing belt adjustment of camshaft gears 1 and 2. Make necessary corrections as outlined further on in this section.

Marks on Camshaft Gears 1 and 2 Align to the LEFT of J 42069-20

1. Loosen the timing belt idler pulley for camshaft gears 1 & 2.
    Object Number: 345823  Size: MH

2. Use the J 42069-40 to turn eccentric on the idler pulley COUNTERCLOCKWISE until the marks on the camshaft gears and on the J 42069-20 are in alignment (the high point of the idler pulley eccentric will be in approximately the 9 o'clock position).

Tighten

8. Install the J 42069-20 to camshaft gears 1 & 2.
  11. If camshaft gears 1 and 2 are properly aligned, set the final timing belt tensioner as outlined in Timing Belt Tensioner Adjustment at the end of this procedure.

Marks on Camshaft Gears 1 and 2 Align to the RIGHT of J 42069-20

Object Number: 345830  Size: MH

2. Slacken the timing belt by turning the eccentric on the idler pulley CLOCKWISE with the J 42069-40 until the marks on the camshaft gears and the marks on the J 42069-20 are in alignment (the high point of the idler pulley eccentric will be in approximately the 9 o'clock position).

Tighten

Timing Belt Tensioner Adjustment

Important: The following steps are the COMPLETION of installing and/or adjusting the timing belt and must not be performed as a stand alone operation.

1. With the J 42069-10 in place locking the crankshaft at TDC:
    Object Number: 345835  Size: MH

1.1. Loosen the timing belt tensioner eccentric locking nut.
    1.2. Turn the eccentric counterclockwise to full stop, then back until the reference mark is 2-4 mm ABOVE the reference mark on the flange.

Tighten
    Tighten the timing belt tensioner locking nut to 20 N·m (15 lb ft).

2. If the timing belt idler pulley bolts for camshafts 3 & 4 and 1 & 2 have not been previously torqued to specification:

Tighten
    Tighten the timing belt idler pulley bolts while holding the eccentric in place with the J 42069-40 to prevent movement, to 40 N·m (30 lb ft).

3. Remove all checking tools.
  4. As a final inspection, once again rotate the engine in the clockwise direction two revolutions until reaching 60 degrees BTDC.
  8. Inspect the alignment of the reference marks on the camshaft gears with the notches on the rear timing belt cover, as well as, the mark on the crankshaft gear with the mark on the oil pump housing.
  9. Inspect the alignment of the marks on all four camshaft gears in reference to the marks on the J 42069-20.
  11. Continue with the engine reassembly as outlined in Timing Belt Replacement if further timing belt adjustment is not needed.

© 2008 General Motors Corporation. All rights reserved.

RICK
RICK, ASE Certified Technician
if you can access tool OTC/SPX 6687GM 6 cyl.cam tool set 3.0 and 3.2L applications operating instructions. crankshaft holding tool page& the timing belt installation tool pages both talk about the crank timing mark at 6-oclock position.am i calling the correct cyl. #1? pass. side front cyl.? when that mark is at 6 my piston is down? ive set this up by this proceedure multi times. all marks line perfectly with tools & match perfectly after several crank rotations.botXXXXX XXXXXne..... books all say that #1TDC is when the mark is at 6.is not TDC#1cyl. that I know as#1cyl...PASS. side FORWARD cyl. is this info all wrong? am I looking at the wrong cyl.? ive had these heads off had bent #6 intakes in a collision damage incedent.could valve lash adjusters be different from intake to exh.? that 60degrees BTC is to rotate cams safely & install crank holding tool. not for indexing cams. i may have to tear down my driver 99 catera just to discover the real mark locations. trying not to do that!
if you can access tool OTC/SPX 6687GM 6 cyl.cam tool set 3.0 and 3.2L applications operating instructions. crankshaft holding tool page& the timing belt installation tool pages both talk about the crank timing mark at 6-oclock position.am i calling the correct cyl. #1? pass. side front cyl.? when that mark is at 6 my piston is down? ive set this up by this proceedure multi times. all marks line perfectly with tools & match perfectly after several crank rotations.botXXXXX XXXXXne..... books all say that #1TDC is when the mark is at 6.is not TDC#1cyl. that I know as#1cyl...PASS. side FORWARD cyl. is this info all wrong? am I looking at the wrong cyl.? ive had these heads off had bent #6 intakes in a collision damage incedent.could valve lash adjusters be different from intake to exh.? that 60degrees BTC is to rotate cams safely & install crank holding tool. not for indexing cams. i may have to tear down my driver 99 catera just to discover the real mark locations. trying not to do that!I'll accept some info that helps me get this right.I'll check back this eve.the all data & gm & moter &OTC all say that with crank holding tool lever mounted aginst waterpump pulley flange. that puts timing mark(crank)at 6-oclock. which they state that is#1 cylinder TDC......... my #1 piston is down. bottom of bore isnt TDC unless your engine is mounted upsidedown!seriously does this thing time cam #'s1&2 at a different crank position than cams #'s 3&4??????

Ive still have not recieved any thing to tell me what Im seeking. been waiting for a response since 3 a.m. approx. have you nobody available that has actually has hands on knowledge of these catera timing arrangements? I'd like to get past this! CAN YOU FOLKS HELP? again, all of the reference material I've seen is the same misleading information and that is just crazy!

Golden Wrench
Golden Wrench, Shop Foreman
This is not an answer, but a suggestion. Use the Snap-on tool. It will work.
the tool is not the issue. it is the bogus referance material that is causing my issue. have you read all of my text? have you reviewed the gm proceedure? Im here to tell the world that it is wrong thus explaining the rest of em all mis identifying #1cyl. TDC. ive done their proceedure so many times I dont even need the tool to do it. with it set like they show #s3&4 cams seem to have their valve events correct. #s1&2cams would be great also if the piston was at TDC not BDC. my intake valves are opening when the piston is coming up! I may just have to tear down my daily driver to discover the true timing settings. relation of cam shafts positions to crank position.THE G.M. proceedure is wrong.
OK. I am wrong, over 35 times. Just my 2 cents. Maybe we can have lunch over at GMPST in Burbank,?. I feel your pain.
if you have over 35 successful t-belt repairs you should sure know the routine.why wont you answer my question? if I needed a tool referal or more wrong referance material Id ask for that. looks like you need to pay alittle attention to what the snap on tool actually does but we both know that just the motions make the pay check.just like all of the tough repairs I encounter.I'll have to put fourth the effort.I dont have any questions that anybody can correctly & thoroughly answer without putting effort!into the answer that I need.I dont even feel that my question has been really reasearched at all! I own three of these engines. there is no catera engine UP on TDC#1cyl. when the crank mark is at 6-oclock! but all the ref material says it is.this would not be the first MAJOR screw-up in G.M. ref. text or illustrations. ive got a lot of my time into tryn to coax a helpful bit of info from you folks.SINCERELY XXXXX XXXXX L-1 shop foreman.
I've gave you a side bar advise, not an answer. The instructions in the Snap-on are different from the factory tool. I feel your pain. If I have over 35 sucessful replacements, then I don't know your answer. that's why I posted as info. Listennnn.
if you have over 35 successful t-belt repairs you should sure know the routine.why wont you answer my question? if I needed a tool referal or more wrong referance material Id ask for that. looks like you need to pay alittle attention to what the snap on tool actually does but we both know that just the motions make the pay check.just like all of the tough repairs I encounter.I'll have to put fourth the effort.I dont have any questions that anybody can correctly & thoroughly answer without putting effort!into the answer that I need.I dont even feel that my question has been really reasearched at all! I own three of these engines. there is no catera engine UP on TDC#1cyl. when the crank mark is at 6-oclock! but all the ref material says it is.this would not be the first MAJOR screw-up in G.M. ref. text or illustrations. ive got a lot of my time into tryn to coax a helpful bit of info from you folks.SINCERELY XXXXX XXXXX L-1 shop foreman. O.K on the snap-on instructions. THANK YOU GOLDEN WRENCH!!!!Im not prepaired to purchase another special tool. Would you know how to obtain the instructions by snap-on,other than the tool man?A web-site or other?
Let me research, and I'll let you know. I feel your pain.
RICK
RICK
RICK, ASE Certified Technician