Online Wrench
Online Wrench, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified, Asian and Domestic Specialist
12650260

1999 Oldsmobile Aurora: a loud high pitch whiserling niose when engine

Customer Question

1999 Oldsmobile Aurora, a loud high pitch whiserling niose when engine is running. it continues for a couple of seconds when shutting the engine off.
Category: Car
Expert:  Online Wrench replied 8 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to Justanswer.com! I would suspect a pulley in the belt drive system, or possibly a loud fuel pump. If it is a fuel pump it will be heard at the back of the vehicle. To determine whether or not the noise is coming from the belt drive system, you can simply take the belt off and run the engine. See if the noise persists. If the noise does not persist with the belt off, suspect a bad belt or noisy pulley bearing. If you have any questions or need further assistance I will be glad to help. If this information was helpful, please click ACCEPT! Thank you.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I am sure that it is not the belts. Please read my other comments concrening what I have tried.
Ok. I would ensure that the air ducts to the throttle body are all in tact yet. Also ensure that the power steering fluid is full. What you described could also be a power steering whine. I appreciate your patience as it is difficult for me to determine what the noise sounds like off your description. Let me know the results. Thanks
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
the air ducts are intact and the power steering fluid is full. It sounds like vacuum, it is quite loud but I can't locate it. The engine does not run smooth all the time. How can I know if it is not intake manifold?
Thanks, David

Ok. The best way to locate the vacuum leak is with a lightly flamable material (i.e. brake cleaner). And spray it around vacuum lines and manifold mating surfaces, if you hear rise in rpms this is where your leak is. Make sense? Let me know if you need further assistance on the matter. Thanks!

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I have tried all suggestions except taking the belt off. I will try this when I am back in town. nothing has changed.
Ok. Let me know the results.