John, Master Automotive Technician
Experience:  ASE A1-A8 & L1 Master GM Tech 40 years experience
6408229

2000 Deville: Climate control..blows air..driver side..passenger side

I have a 2000 Deville , Climate control blows air but only warm or hot on driver side cold on passenger side . Any ideas
Category: Car
Expert:  John replied 8 years ago.

HelloCustomer

Your problem is most likely an actuator.These actuators require a recalibration ,if power is ever lost or disconnected.I would start with a recal process.If your control is still not responding correctly,you should scan the body control system with a class 2 scan tool .There very well may be codes set,some of these codes will cause the controlling computer to go to a default setting.

1. Turn OFF the ignition.
  2. Remove the battery positive voltage circuit fuse of the Instrument Panel Control Module. This fuse is in the

Left rear of the passenger compartment, under the rear seat

Important: The module memory will not clear if the battery positive voltage circuit fuse is installed in less than 60 seconds.

3. Wait 60 seconds.
  4. Install the fuse.
  5. The IPC module is located

Center of the instrument panel, above the radio.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I sent reply hope it got thru. i'll try again. I rechecked 5 actuators that I found. I removed motors and manually opened and closed doors on 3 XXXXXside 1 on passsenger

no difference. 1 behind glove box do not know what it controls but it moves 1 for rear air moves. driver air about 30- 40 f hotter than passenger side on cooling. cooled air must be mixing with heated air on driver side. recalibration didn't help. any more ideas. thanks

Expert:  John replied 8 years ago.

Have you checked the BCM for failure codes & viewed data from a/c system ?

Did you use an output test on a class 2 scan tool to run the actuators full scale ?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

there are no codes showing.

do not have scan tool , but with dash disassembled I can watch them open and close

Expert:  John replied 8 years ago.
Watching the actuators move is great,but if you cannot look at the computer data inputs & outputs you do not know if it is maybe a temperature sensor(input) or an actuator(output) or an incorrect logic signal from the computer.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
i hope to be able to isolate the problem by knowing exactly which actuator controls flow of hot air to driver side control actuator that adjusts temps. I have been able to find only 5 actuators. what does the one behind the glove box control? There must be one I am not finding . perhaps hidden from view. If you can help locate correct number of actuators and what they control I can follow flow of air. I have accepted ( thought I did yesterday) so you should be paid. Thanks
Expert:  John replied 8 years ago.

I am sending information for the air mix actuators for driver & passenger sides to help you.Your question has not been accepted.

Air Mix Actuator Replacement - Driver

Caution: When you are performing service on or near the SIR components or the SIR wiring, you must disable the SIR system. Refer to Disabling the SIR System. Failure to follow the correct procedure could cause air bag deployment, personal injury, or unnecessary SIR system repairs.

Object Number: 292138  Size: SH

1. Remove the left side sound insulatorRemove the driver air mix actuator retaining fasteners (1).
  2. Remove the electrical connector from the driver air mix actuator.
    Object Number: 292133  Size: SH

3. Remove the driver air mix actuator.

Object Number: 292133  Size: SH

1. Install the driver air mix actuator.
    Object Number: 292138  Size: SH

Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

2. Install the driver air mix retaining fasteners (1).

Tighten
    Tighten the fasteners to 1.4 N·m (12 lb in).

3. Install the electrical connector to the driver air mix actuator.
  4. Install the left side sound insulator.
  5. Air Mix Actuator Replacement - Passenger

Object Number: 592452  Size: SH

1. Remove the IP compartment.Remove the electrical connector from the passenger air mix actuator (2).
    2. Remove the passenger air mix actuator (2) retaining fasteners (1).
      Object Number: 592455  Size: SH

3. Remove the passenger air mix actuator (1).

4. Object Number: 592455  Size: SH

5. Install the passenger air mix actuator (1) to the HVAC module.
      Object Number: 592452  Size: SH

6. Install the passenger air mix actuator (2) retaining fasteners (1).

Tighten
      Tighten the fasteners (1) to 1.4 N·m (12 lb in).

7. Install the electrical connector to the passenger air mix actuator (2).
    8. Install the IP storage compartment.