Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

Lights on selector buttons for cool A/C , recirculation, rear wiper

Customer Question
and rear wash flash constantly...
Lights on selector buttons for cool A/C , recirculation, rear wiper and rear wash flash constantly. What could be the cause?
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Car
11/1/2008
Auto Mechanic: brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician replied 9 years ago
brownjeff
brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician

Try to calibrate the system first, I will attach information on hoe to do it. If this doesn't work then depending on which light are on will help determine the problem (also attached).

If you still need help just reply, if not click ACCEPT when we are done.

Thanks,

JB

ACTUATOR CALIBRATION/DIAGNOSTICS AND COOLDOWN TEST

GENERAL INFORMATION

If the HVAC control module is replaced, the Calibration Diagnostic and Cooldown tests will need to be performed. Once this group of tests have successfully passed, they can be performed individually. The engine must be running during the test to provide hot coolant for the heater, A/C compressor operation and to assure that the actuators are calibrated correctly. The HVAC control module is capable of troubleshooting the system in approximately 120 seconds. If a condition is detected, an error code is displayed. The error code cannot be erased until the condition is repaired and the diagnostic test is performed. Check wire before replacing components, Refer to Wiring Diagrams.

CAUTION: Do not remove the actuators from the Heater-A/C unit assembly with power applied. Removal should only be done with the Ignition OFF. The actuators have no mechanical stops to limit the travel. If the actuator rotates and is not connected to the unit assembly, it will become out of calibration.

ACTUATOR CALIBRATION

Mode, Blend and Zone (if equipped) door calibration compensates for mechanical variations in the actuators, HVAC control module and its linkages. In-vehicle calibration can be entered from the control's front panel. If the REAR WIPE and INTERMITTENT LED's flash simultaneously when Ignition is cycled ON, the actuators have not been calibrated or during the previous calibration a failure occurred Radio Bezel and HVAC Control and Radio Bezel and HVAC Control, Rear Blower Motor Switch and Zone Control Diagnostics will always occur during Calibration Diagnostic and Cooldown test.

DIAGNOSTICS

During the Actuator calibration, diagnostics are performed on the actuators and evaporator temperature Fin Sensor. Once diagnostics are completed the REAR WIPER and INTERMITTENT LED's will flash to indicate either a successful calibration or the appropriate fail code(s) At this time manual testing of the Blend, Mode and Driver (if equipped) potentiometers can be performed. If a failure is detected during Diagnostics a fault will be set in the control. When Ignition is cycled OFF and then ON or Diagnostics is aborted, the REAR WIPER and INTERMITTENT LED's will flash simultaneously showing that a failure has occurred. The control will not indicate the fail code, but only that a failure had occurred during the last diagnostics test. The only way to clear the failure codes is repeat the Calibration Diagnostic and Cooldown test, after all repairs are completed.

COOLDOWN TEST

This test has been designed for performance testing of the A/C system at the manufacturing facility. If the HVAC control module is replaced, the Cooldown test will occur during Calibration test. Cooldown will not occur on Heater Only units. During the Cooldown test the control will monitor the temperature of the Fin Sensor. The A/C system must be able to bring the evaporator temperature down a predetermined minimum amount in less than 2 minutes.

CALIBRATION/COOLDOWN LED DISPLAY CODES

See table for definition of flashing LED's. If no problems are found, the control functions normally.

CALIBRATION/COOLDOWN LED DISPLAY CODES

LED'SPASS/FAILCORRECTIVE ACTION
NO LED'S FLASHING-NORMAL OPERATIONPASSED CALIBRATION, DIAGNOSTICS AND COOLDOWNNONE
REAR WIPER AND INTERMITTENT LED'S FLASH SIMULTANEOUSLYFAILED CALIBRATION DIAGNOSTICSRUN CALIBRATION TEST
A/C AND RECIRC LED'S FLASH SIMULTANEOUSLYFAILED COOLDOWN RUN COOLDOWN TEST
REAR WIPER AND INTERMITTENT LED'S ARE FLASHING SIMULTANEOUSLY A/C AND RECIRC LED'S ARE FLASHING SIMULTANEOUSLYFAILED CALIBRATION, DIAGNOSTICS AND FAILED COOLDOWN TEST RUN CALIBRATION TEST

CALIBRATION/DIAGNOSTICS TEST ENTRY

TO INITIATE TESTS:

• Set Blower motor ON HIGH
  • Set Mode position to Panel
  • Open all A/C outlets
  • Set Temperature to Cold (Both slide pots if equipped)
  • Depress WASH and REAR WIPER button simultaneously for 5 Seconds (Until all LED's light)

RESULTS:

• All LED's will turn on for 5 Seconds
  • Calibration Test is running when REAR WIPER and INTERMITTENT are alternately flashing. Cooldown test is running if A/C and RECIRC are alternately flashing.
  • Acceptable results is REAR WIPER LED is the only LED flashing. Push Rear Wiper to exit.
  • After all tests have passed, Calibration Diagnostics and Cooldown can be run separately.

COOLDOWN TEST ENTRY

TO INITIATE TESTS:

• Set Blower motor ON HIGH
  • Set Mode position to Panel
  • Open all A/C outlets
  • Depress WASH and A/C simultaneously for 5 Seconds

NOTE: Prior to start of test, If the evaporator is already cold, the system will fail test. To correct, operate system with A/C OFF and the blower motor ON high for three minutes prior to starting test.

RESULTS:

• All LED's will turn on for 5 Seconds
  • Cooldown Test is running when A/C and RECIRC. are alternately flashing. If A/C and RECIRC. are flashing simultaneously, Cooldown has failed.

CALIBRATION DIAGNOSTICS AND COOLDOWN ABORT

Test can be aborted by doing one of the following:

• Depressing Rear Window Defogger, RECIRC and Rear Wiper buttons.
  • Cycling Ignition OFF and then ON.
  • Control will automatically abort after 15 minutes from the time Calibration Diagnostics and Cooldown was entered.

The HVAC control module will return to normal operation or may indicate unsuccessful Calibration Diagnostics or Cooldown test by LED's flashing simultaneously.

EEPROM DATA

Calibration Diagnostics, Cooldown Status and evaporator temperature Fin Sensor values are stored in an EEPROM memory internal to the control. The microcomputer within the HVAC control module uses this information:

• To determine if Cooldown needs to run
  • For proper position of the Heater-A/C unit assembly doors

ACTUATOR CALIBRATION AND DIAGNOSTICS

NOTE: Do not run actuators unless they are properly mounted on the HVAC control module.

Actuator end point calibration takes approximately 60 seconds. The REAR WIPER and INTERMITTENT LED's will flash alternately during the test. The control will cycle the Blend actuator(s) to the Heat stop first then back to Cold. After the Blend actuator(s) have been calibrated the Mode actuator will be cycled to Defrost and then to Panel. Successful calibration is defined as actuator travel falling within their minimum and maximum limits.

BLEND/PASSENGER ACTUATOR BACKGROUND

The Blend/Passenger Actuator can move the temperature door in two directions. When the voltage at Pin 12 of the control module is high, about 11.5 volts, and the voltage at Pin 17 is low, about 1.5 volts, the door will move towards the Heat position. When Pin 17 is High and Pin 12 is Low the door will move towards the Cold position. When both Pins are high or both Pins are low, the actuator will not move. The Blend/Passenger feedback signal is a voltage signal that is supplied by the actuator to the control. The signal will be about 4.0 volts in the Heat position and 1.0 volt in the Cold position. As the position of the Blend/Passenger actuator changes, so will the feedback signal. The feedback signal is necessary for the correct positioning of the temperature door.

DRIVER ACTUATOR BACKGROUND

The Driver Actuator can move the temperature door in two directions. When the voltage at Pin 15 of the control module is high, about 11.5 volts, and the voltage at Pin 13 is low, about 1.5 volts the door will move towards the Cold position. When Pin 13 is High and Pin 15 is Low the door will move towards the Heat position. When both Pins are high or when both Pins are low, the actuator will not move. The Driver feedback signal is a voltage signal that is supplied by the actuator to the control. The signal will be about 4.0 volts in the Heat position and 1.0 volt in the Cold position. As the position of the Driver Actuator changes, so will the feedback signal. The feedback signal is necessary for the correct positioning of the temperature door.

MODE ACTUATOR BACKGROUND

The Mode actuator can move the mode door in two directions. When the voltage at Pin 18 of the control module is high, about 11.5 volts, and the voltage at Pin 12 is low, about 1.5 volts the door will move towards the Panel position. When Pin 12 is High and Pin 18 is Low the door will move towards the Defrost position. When both Pin are high or when both Pins are low, the actuator will not move. The Mode door feedback signal is a voltage signal that is supplied by the actuator to the control. The signal will be about 4.5 volts in the Panel position and 0.5 volts in the Defrost position. As the position of the Mode actuator changes, so will the feedback signal. The feedback signal is necessary for the correct positioning of the mode door.

FAIL CODES/LEVEL DISPLAY

Fail Codes/Level are displayed using the REAR WIPER and INTERMITTENT LED's flashing in the sequence indicated below. The REAR WIPER LED represents the Level and the INTERMITTENT LED represents the Value. After Calibration/Diagnostics is completed, the control will begin flashing Level 1 codes. Depressing the WASH button will cycle to Level 2, depressing WASH again will cycle to Level 3. Each time the WASH button is depressed will cycle to the next level. After Level 5 is reached, you will cycle back to Level 1. If the Control is a Heater Only you will only cycle from Levels 1 to 3.

WIPE BUTTON LED

LEVELDISPLAY
1FAIL CODES
2MODE POTENTIOMETER TEST
3BLEND/PASS. POTENTIOMETER TEST
4EVAPORATOR PROBE (A/C AND ZONE UNITS ONLY)
5DRIVER POTENTIOMETER (ZONE UNITS ONLY)

LEVEL 1 - FAILURE CODE VALUES (INTERMITTENT WIPE BUTTON LED)

CODEDEFINITION
0PASSED ALL TESTS
1MODE ACTUATOR DID NOT REACH DEFROST POSITION
2MODE ACTUATOR DID NOT REACH PANEL POSITION
3BLEND/PASS. ACTUATOR DID NOT REACH COLD STOP
4BLEND PASS. ACTUATOR DID NOT REACH HEAT STOP
5EVAPORATOR PROBE OPEN
6EVAPORATOR PROBE SHORTED
7DRIVER ACTUATOR DID NOT REACH COLD STOP
8ZONE/DRIVER ACTUATOR DID NOT REACH HEAT STOP
9CONTROL HEAD INTERNAL FAILURE

TEMPERATURE AND MODE POTENTIOMETER DIAGNOSTICS

The Temperature and Mode Potentiometer can be tested after calibration is complete by pressing the WASH button and cycling to Levels 2, 3 or 5 as displayed by the REAR WIPER LED. On Heater Only units you can only cycle to Levels 2 and 3. In each individual test the INTERMITTENT LED flash rate will change as the Temperature or Mode potentiometer is moved from one end to the other, see Potentiometer vs. Position and Flash Rate table.

POTENTIOMETER vs. POSITION AND FLASH RATE

POTENTIOMETERINTERMITTENT LED FASTER FLASH RATEINTERMITTENT LED SLOWER FLASH RATE
MODEPANELDEFROST
BLEND/PASS. HOTCOLD
DRIVERHOTCOLD

EVAPORATOR PROBE TEMPERATURE DIAGNOSTICS

The evaporator probe can be tested by using the INTERMITTENT LED to display the actual temperature the sensor is reading. The HVAC control module can only display temperatures from 1 to 99 degrees. To read the temperature, perform the following:

• Set Blower motor to any speed other than OFF
  • Set A/C to ON, if A/C Clutch does not engage make sure Fail Codes 5 and 6 are cleared.To clear the error code 5 and 6 the evaporator probe and/or the wiring repair needs to be completed. Then, press and hold the intermittent wipe button for 5 seconds.
  • Run Diagnostics (Depress REAR WIPER and REAR WASH)
  • When Diagnostics is complete, Cycle to Level 4.

Display Sequence is as follows:

• REAR WIPER LED will display the Level
  • INTERMITTENT LED will display ten's digit
  • Short Pause
  • INTERMITTENT LED will display the one's digit.

The HVAC control module will continue to cycle the Level and then Temperature until the level is changed or Calibration Diagnostics and Cooldown test is exited.

brownjeff
brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
brownjeff
brownjeff
brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician