Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

how to replace camshaft sensor on 01 mitsubishi montero sport

Customer Question
3.5...
how to replace camshaft sensor on 01 mitsubishi montero sport 3.5
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Car
10/1/2008
Auto Mechanic: Mike V., Auto Service Technician replied 9 years ago
Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician
Hi there!Cam sensor isn't to bad on these.Problem is it is in the back of the head.Hope this helps!Thanks
Removal & Installation
  1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Detach the sensor connector.
  3. Unfasten the retaining bolt, then remove the sensor and the O-ring.
  4. Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure.
    Click image to see an enlarged viewCamshaft Position Sensor removal & Installation
  2. Detach the sensor connector.
need more detail whart do i have to remove to get to sensor?
OK,That's all of the info I have so I will opt out.Hopefully another expert has different info.Sorry
Auto Mechanic: Jerry, Master Mechanic replied 9 years ago
Jerry, Master Mechanic

Hi Mene, Super mechanic here. I noticed that Carguy has opted out. Let me see if I can help you.

The data base that I have is showing that on certain 3.5L engines, the timing cover has to come off to replace the CMP sensor, (and CKP sensor).

Here is a picture of the setup, with the cover removed.

graphic

I hope his has shed some light on the matter.

did not show enough detail can not use thanks anyway but i will use again.

That is how it routes under the timing cover. Here are the steps for R&R timing cover.

REMOVAL&INSTALLATION
Removal & Installation
3.0L & 3.5L Engines

1. Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions section.
  2. Drain the engine coolant.
  3. Remove or disconnect the following:
    • Negative battery cable
    • Upper radiator hose
    • Cooling fan shroud assembly
    • Cooling fan-to-clutch bolts and the fan
    • Cooling fan clutch-to-water pump nuts and the clutch assembly
    • Drive belts for the alternator, power steering pump and air conditioning compressor
    • Electrical connectors from the alternator
    • Alternator-to-engine bolts and the alternator bracket-to-engine bolts
    • Alternator and bracket from the engine
    • Power steering pump cover
    • Power steering pump-to-engine bolts and move the pump aside with the hoses and electrical connector attached
    • Air conditioning compressor-to-bracket bolts and move the compressor aside with the lines and electrical connector attached
    • Air conditioning compressor bracket-to-engine bolts and the bracket
    • Timing indicator bracket (near crankshaft pulley) bolts and the bracket
    • Accessory mount assembly-to-engine bolts and the mount assembly
    • Upper timing belt cover assembly
  4. Using the End Yoke Holder tool MD990767 and 2 Crankshaft Pulley Holder Pin tools MD998715, or equivalent to hold the crankshaft pulley, and a socket wrench, remove the crankshaft pulley bolt and the pulley.
    • Lower timing belt cover
  5. Rotate the crankshaft clockwise to align the timing marks to position the No. 1 cylinder at the Top Dead Center (TDC) of its compression stroke.
  6. Use chalk to mark the rotating (clockwise) direction of the timing belt for reinstallation purposes.
  7. Loosen the auto-tensioner pulley center bolt and remove the timing bolt.
  8. Remove the auto-tensioner pulley and the auto-tensioner arm assembly.

graphic

graphic

graphic

graphic

graphic

To install:

1. Press the end of the auto-tensioner inward with 72-145 ft. lbs. (98-196 Nm) of force and measure the distance that the pushrod is pushed in. If the standard distance is not 0.04 in. (1mm), replace the auto-tensioner.
  2. Position the auto-tensioner in a soft-jawed vise and SLOWLY compress the pushrod until the pushrod and housing holes align; then, install a setting pin to secure the auto-tensioner in the retracted position.
  3. Align the camshaft and crankshaft TDC timing marks.
  4. Install the timing belt (noting its rotational direction) so that there is no deflection between the sprockets and pulleys in the following manner:
    • Crankshaft sprocket
    • Idler pulley
    • Left camshaft sprocket
    • Water pump pulley
    • Right camshaft sprocket
    • Tension pulley
  5. Turn the camshaft sprocket counterclockwise until the tension side of the timing belt is firmly stretched, then, recheck the timing marks.
  6. Using the Tension Pulley Socket Wrench tool MD998767, or equivalent, push the tensioner pulley into the timing belt and secure the center bolt.
  7. Using the Crankshaft Pulley Spacer tool MD998769, or equivalent, rotate the crankshaft 1 4
  8. Loosen the timing belt tensioner center bolt. Using the Tension Pulley Socket Wrench tool MD998767, or equivalent, and a torque wrench, apply 39 inch lbs. (4.4 Nm) pressure on the timing belt. Torque the tensioner pulley center bolt to 35 ft. lbs. (48 Nm).
  9. Remove the setting pin from the auto-tensioner.
  10. Rotate the crankshaft 2 complete revolutions and realign the timing marks. Then, wait for 5 minutes until the auto-tensioner pushrod extends to its standard value. If the standard value is not 0.15-0.20 in. (3.8-5.0mm), repeat the adjustment procedure. If the standard value is still not achieved, replace the auto-tensioner.
  11. Install the lower timing belt cover and crankshaft pulley.
  12. Using the End Yoke Holder tool MD990767 and 2 Crankshaft Pulley Holder Pin tools MD998715, or equivalent to hold the crankshaft pulley, and a socket torque wrench, torque the crankshaft pulley bolt to 134 ft. lbs. (181 Nm).
    • Install or connect the following:
    • Upper timing belt cover assembly
    • Remaining items by reversing the removal procedures
    • Negative battery cable
  13. Refill the cooling system.

Jerry, Master Mechanic