Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

2001 Kia Sportage: my last reply and all I goit was a message from you

Customer Question
Tim you were dealing with...
Tim you were dealing with me on a 2001 Kia Sportage fuel issue amongst other things/. I was waiting for your response to my last reply and all I goit was a message from you saying the question had b een closed and soemthing about feedback. I still have not resolved the issue and would liek to continue to use your expertise can you tell me how I repost the original question and all replies to it thanks.
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Car
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/1/2008
Auto Mechanic: Tim West, ASE Certified Technician replied 9 years ago
Tim West
Tim West, ASE Certified Technician
Hi, I am here and I remember the issue, last time we left the ECT was broken... How can I help?
Hi Tim It has been a long time since I contacted you about this issue. ia m sure you have forgot about it. I still am working on this problem. I have been away for over a month but I am back now and ready to tackle this again. If you need help in refreshing your memory about this problem I still have all your response and I can send them to you so you can remember.

1. The vehicle will start properly if I put a bypass wire for the fuel pump on the data link connector. Then when i remove that wirte and let it run it runs but still a little rough. Also in gear very hard to keep it running. If I try and start the vehicle with out the jumper wire it takes for ever for it to get started. I know why. But it is this problem I need to fix. The main problem is this. There is no power getting to fuel pump while key is in the on position, unless I put the jumper wire on the data link connector which i know completely by passes the relay circuit.

2. The second problem is when i fill the radiator up with coolant & water. and when i start the engine without the rad cap on the coolant comes right out of the radiator top. I ahve never seen this before in my life and i have worked on enough cars. I have abrand new thermosta in the cart both the sensors on the housinghave been replaced. Also when you let the car continually idle for a while even in thsi cold weather it will overheat. I do ntop want to have to take the engine all aprt again if the problem can be solved otherwise. I sure hoope you can halp as you are my last hope., i have exhausted all of my time on the net to no avail. Please get back to me. Let me know what it costs to get this resolved and I will pay no problem. Thanks.

XXXXX XXXXX
Hi, I remember. Let me assist you.

The EGI main relay powers up the fuel pump relay. The fuel pump relay powers up the fuel pump. Both relays are located in the engine compartment fuse/relay box.

1. See if the Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) comes on key on to know if the EGI relay is powering up the computer.

2. Remove the EGI main relay and check for two power supplies to the EGI main relay connector - both should be battery voltage all the time from the 30 amp fuel injection fuse through the 15 amp main fuse to the relay connector.

3. Check the EGI main relay ground on the White/Blue wire at terminal 27 of the Engine Control Module (ECM) with the key on.

4. Remove the fuel pump relay and check for two power supplies to the fuel pump relay connector - one should be battery voltage all the time from the 30 amp fuel injection fuse and the other should be battery voltage key on from the EGI main relay.

5. Check the fuel pump relay ground on the Red wire at terminal 1 of the ECM while cranking.

Does the vehicle overheat? How does it respond with the cap on?
U will have to excuse me I am unsure of a few things in your answer.

1. Where do i find the MIL light? What color is it etc?

2. On which terminals should the voltage be on and does the key have to be on or off?

3. EGImain relay ground? I am real sorry i do nto knwo where the ECM is loacated and si there a diagram that shows all the terminals for the ECM how do I check if the ground i working at terminal 27?

4. Again which two terminals on teh Fule pump relay should contain the voltage? Diagrma bneeded whoulc be helpful.

5. again I need a diagram to should the ECM and the terminal location?

Yes if the cap is on the rad and the motor will eventually overheat. No coolant spills out of the rad cap or anywhere else if the rad cap is on. But still overheats.

One further question when I told you that when I bypass the fuel relay with the pins on the engine connector why does it seem to work fine thanks Tim i sent you the 17.00 already
Tim,

Hi it is me again. I did a compression test today and the results are as follows and they go from front of engine to back

Cyl 1 = 90 lbs
Cyl 2 = 58 lbs
Cyl 3 = 33 lbs
Cyl 4 = 90 lbs

So the two center ones are real bad and I guess that would be a good indication of why the c ar runs so poorly. Any advice as to what I can do to fix this problem? Also would this affect the engine problem with the fuel pump>?

Thanks

Looks like you have a blown head gasket. if all the cylinders were low it would indicate bad valves or rings. You need to replace the head gasket. Did the vehicle recently overheat?
The mil light would be the check engine light, in most cases.
As far as the ECT here is a picture of it. graphic
terminal 1 of the computer (Brown/Green wire) should have less than a volt while cranking. This would indicate the computer is grounding correctly.
Power is a black/red wire
Here is the diagram
graphic
Tim that image you sent is of the engine compartment showing all the sensors. I still do not know where to find the ecm. Also with the compression situation. I redid the test pouring about 10ml of oil in each of the cylinders and two bad ones that being 2 & 3 all went up to 90 or above. According to what I have read that is an indication of the rings being bad. Yes it used ot overheat. Plus what happens is this. When you start the engine andf leave the rad cap off is that because the head gasket is gone and compression is getting into the water jacket some how and forcing the coolant out of the radiator?
The computer is below the center of the dash on the floor by the firewall.
usually if rings were bad you would have low compression on all cylinders. Here is a test:
If compression is low in one or more cylinders, you can isolate the problem to the valves or rings by squirting a little 30 weight motor oil into the cylinder through the spark plug hole and repeating the compression test. The oil temporarily seals the rings.

If the compression readings are higher the second time around, it means the rings and/or cylinder is worn. No change in the compression readings would tell you the cylinder has a bad valve.
Tim West
Tim West, ASE Certified Technician
I did the compression test with the oil did you not get my last response?
Tim just wondering if you are still there for help?
yes, I am here, I re read some information I didn't see or get . where are we now?
I have done a compression test.The results were

1. 90lbs
2. 58lbs
3. 33 lbs
4. 90 lbs

I put oil in each of the cylinders as per instructions and redid tests . The results improved in all cylinders especially the lowest of the two.

I still have to put the jumper on the diagnostics coinnector to get it to start right away. After 20 min of idling it overheats. So I am totally lost as to what to do now.

The three problems I am having is this.

1. The car overheats. i have changed thermostat and all sensors on housing.

2. Fuel pump will not come on with the key in the on posistion. Will only work when jumper wire used on the data connector.

3. Bad compression in # XXXXX and # XXXXX cylinders.

It is a combination of all of these that is creating it to run rough, overheat etc. So I need you expert advice on how to fix all three. I already have $700.00 into this repair so another 5 or 600.00 makes no diff to me. i just want it fixed. Frustration does not begin to explain the way I feel. But like I said. I have to much time and money to just give up. So please help :-)
Do I have to pay you more? IS that why you have not responded in 4 days>?
Tim West
Tim West
Tim West, ASE Certified Technician