jeffrey590
jeffrey590, ASE Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician , Saab Master Technician w/ 35 years Dealer Experience in Advanced Level Diag.
11029438

94 Metro: has started slipping out of 5th gear..shifter..accelerator

My 94 Metro has started slipping out of 5th gear. If the shifter goes fully into position I can drive for miles with no problem, but often it won't go all the way in. If it goes halfway, letting up on the accelerator for an instant will let it slip out. Sometimes shifting a couple of times between 4th and 5th will get it fully in. Likely cause and solution?
Category: Car
Expert:  jeffrey590 replied 9 years ago.
GreetingsCustomer

Sounds like a worn syncro on 5th gear...trans must be torn down to replace this part...first I would make sure shifter is adjusted properly...due to fact that other gears are accessible with no problem I feel it is probably not the adjustment...the syncro is the most likely problem...If I can be of further assistance please let me know...jeffrey590