Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

98 GMC Sierra 1500: What trick is there to get it off?

Customer Question
How do I remove the...
How do I remove the front fan on my 98 GMC Sierra 1500. What trick is there to get it off?
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Car
9/27/2008
Auto Mechanic: Carhelp4u, ASE CERTIFIED TECH replied 9 years ago
Carhelp4u
Carhelp4u, ASE CERTIFIED TECH
There is a special tool that you will need to remove the fan clutch from the water pump. Basically what this tool does is uses the four bolts that you removed to hold the pulley so that you can unthread that fan clutch assembly. Here is an illustration of these items as they come apart.

Object Number: 107967  Size: SH

You should be able to check with your local auto part stores to see if they possibly rent a fan clutch removal tool out. I know autozone does rent this type of tool. Let me know if you still do not understand or have further trouble!

Carhelp4u
Carhelp4u, ASE CERTIFIED TECH
Can you send the picture to my e-mail. It won't open on this site. it is [email protected] I would greatly appreciate it

Sorry, its against company policy for me to contact you outside of this site. There was a problem with the illustration I sent. Here I will try again.

Object Number: 107967  Size: SH

Let me know if you have any problems! Good luck!

Carhelp4u
Carhelp4u
Carhelp4u, ASE CERTIFIED TECH