Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

95 suzuki sidekick: litre..4wd..the fuel pump,fuel filter

Customer Question
I have a 95 suzuki...
I have a 95 suzuki sidekick with the 1.6 litre,16 valve engine,4wd. I have replaced the fuel pump,fuel filter and had the fuel injectors tested and cleaned,the shop that did this says they are all working fine and good now. I am getting fuel to the fuel rail and have put everything back together.Now whats happening is the injectors don't seem to be injecting the gas into the cylinders,after cranking the engine I pulled out a spark plug and smelled no gas from the hole. I know I have spark and have checked my fuses. It seems the wiring harness to the injectors is not giving the signal to open and close them at all.Could this be a relay or sensor problem?
Please help,Julian in Albuquerque.
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Car
9/6/2008
Auto Mechanic: Clayso, ASE Certified Technician replied 9 years ago
Clayso
Clayso, ASE Certified Technician
Hi there. Get a marker lite bulb #194 I think is the number or #94 either way bend the prongs of this bulb into a way to fit into the connectors of one of the injector connectors, with the bulb placed into the injector connector spin engine does the bulb flash on and off?
Yes, very dimly.
Hi there. Autozone can pull codes for free, but you have to get the vehicle to them. What I see from the test with the bulb is the ECM is failing to provide a solid ground to the injectors, I believe you have a bad ECM.
Is the ECM the same thing as the powertrain control module.(PCM)?
Hi there. Yes it is.

Would you completly rule out relays or sensors and put the pcm at the top of the list?

Hi there. As long as the battery is fully charged, the ECM link to the injectors there are no fuses or relays, only ground pulses.
Ok,whats a ground pulse and is that something that could cause this problem? What if my pressure regulator is bad?
Hi there. Ground pulses are signals from the ECM/PCM. Regulator has nothing to do with injector pulse.
Does the engine need to be running to pull the trouble code?
Hi there. No just the key in the on position.
If I replace the ECM/PCM and it still doesn't start what would you say?
Hi there. Check continuity on wires from the PCM to each injector.
Last question. Could the TPS,EGR or IAC if bad be the cause other than the ECM/PCM?
Hi there. No the ECM controls the injector pulse.
Clayso
Clayso, ASE Certified Technician
Thank You
Hi there you are very welcome.
Clayso
Clayso
Clayso, ASE Certified Technician