Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

How do you change a valve cover gasket on a 94 isuzu rodeo

Customer Question
>?...
How do you change a valve cover gasket on a 94 isuzu rodeo >?
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Car
9/6/2008
Auto Mechanic: david, Auto Service Technician replied 9 years ago
david
david, Auto Service Technician

Thank you for your question hope this helps.

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

4-Cylinder Gasoline Engines
Fig. 1: Rocker arm cover removal on a single overhead camshaft 4-cylinder engine

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Remove the air cleaner (carburetor) and air inlet hose (EFI).
  3. Remove the PCV hose.
  4. Label and remove the spark plug wires.
  5. Remove the timing belt cover attaching bolts, if so equipped.
  6. Disconnect the power brake booster hose and throttle cable if in the way.
  7. Remove the rocker arm cover bolts and cover.
  8. If the cover will not come loose, tap the sides with a rubber hammer to dislodge.

To install:

1. Clean the gasket mating surfaces with a scraper and solvent.
  2. Install a new gasket and apply a 0.08-0.12 in. (2-mm) bead of RTV sealer around the gasket surface.
  3. Install the rocker arm cover and torque the bolts to 89 inch lbs. (10 Nm).
  4. Install the spark plug wires, PCV hose, brake booster hose and throttle cable if removed.
  5. Install the air cleaner or air inlet hose.
  6. Connect the battery cable, start the engine and check for leaks.

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

2.8L and 3.1L Engines

Fig. 2: Rocker arm cover removal may involve removal of hoses, brackets and other components

Fig. 3: Rocker arm cover removal on a V6, 2.8L engine shown

2. Remove the air cleaner.
  3. Remove the ignition coil and bracket (RH) or the crankcase ventilation valve (LH).
  4. Label and remove the spark plug wires from the bracket at the rocker arm cover stud.
  5. Remove the PCV valve (RH).
  6. Remove the throttle cable and alternator (RH only).
  7. Remove the rocker arm cover nuts, reinforcements, cover and gasket. If the cover sticks to the head, bump the end of the cover with a rubber hammer. Do NOT damage the sealing flange.

To install:

2. Install the rocker arm cover with a new gasket. Apply RTV sealer to the cylinder head-to-intake manifold contact points.
  3. Install the rocker arm cover nuts and reinforcements. Torque the cover bolts to 72 inch lbs. (8 Nm).
  4. Install the throttle cable and alternator (RH only).
  5. Install the PCV valve (RH).
  6. Install the spark plug wires to the bracket at the rocker arm cover stud.
  7. Install the ignition coil and bracket (RH) or the crankcase ventilation valve (LH).
  8. Install the air cleaner.
  9. Connect the negative battery cable, start the engine and check for leaks.

3.2L Engine

Fig. 5: Removing the left-hand rocker arm cover on a 3.2L engine - Right-hand similar

2. Remove the air cleaner.
  3. Remove the EGR pipe.
  4. Remove the (PCV) crankcase ventilation valve (LH).
  5. Label and remove the spark plug wires from the bracket at the rocker arm cover stud.
  6. Remove the camshaft angle sensor (LH) or fuel hose (RH).
  7. Remove the throttle cable (LH) or heater pipe (RH).
  8. Remove the rocker arm cover nuts, reinforcements, cover and gasket. If the cover sticks to the head, bump the end of the cover with a rubber hammer. Do NOT damage the sealing flange.

To install:

4. Install the throttle cable. Torque the body and cable bolts to 14 ft. lbs. (19 Nm).
  5. Install the PCV valve.
  6. Install the EGR pipe; torque the manifold side to 20 ft. lbs. (28 Nm) and the head cover side to 4.5 ft. lbs. (6 Nm).
  7. Install the spark plug wires to the bracket at the rocker arm cover stud.
  8. Install the ignition coil and bracket and crankcase ventilation valve.
  9. Install the air cleaner.
  10. Connect the negative battery cable, start the engine and check for leaks.

Hope this helps
Good luck

david
david
david, Auto Service Technician