Car

2001 VW jetta: traffic..i kept my foot on the gas pedal..accelerating…

Customer Question
((2001 VW Jetta 2.0)) i...
((2001 VW Jetta 2.0)) i was driving the other day in traffic, suddenly i went to give the car some gas and the car didn''t react to it and i began to freak; i kept my foot on the gas pedal and the car finally started accelerating. i could definitely feel a HUGE lose of power as i tried to get back up to highway speeds. when i came to a stop, the... Read full answer
((2001 VW Jetta 2.0)) i was driving the other day in traffic, suddenly i went to give the car some gas and the car didn''t react to it and i began to freak; i kept my foot on the gas pedal and the car finally started accelerating. i could definitely feel a HUGE lose of power as i tried to get back up to highway speeds. when i came to a stop, the car finally bogged down and died, i tried to turn the key, the starter was working, but the car wouldn''t get on and idle. if i try to give the car gas while starting i do get some backfiring, but nothing more. OH, right when the car was dying down for the last time, i did hear some slight knocking if i remember correctly, i don''t think it''s anything like rod knock, but more of a detonation knock.. i just can''t think of anything that would cause the car to suddenly lose power like this... i changed the plugs and oil a few days prior to this incident, but i can''t think of any reason these 2 things would cause a SUDDEN thing like this, HELP!!!
Submitted: 10 years ago.Category: Car
8/6/2008
Auto Mechanic: Mike V., Auto Service Technician replied 10 years ago
Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician
Hi there!How any miles on the car?
there are about 112,xxx miles on the car
I might be wrong here but it sounds like you broke the timing belt.See if you can get the front cover off the engine to at least look at the belt.The knocking sound was probably the valves hitting the pistons.Check it out,sorry to give you such bad news.Thanks
mmmmmm i don't think that sounds right, because i drove the car for a good 5 minutes after the problem occurred, it just had an extreme loss in power. had the timing belt actually broke, wouldn't the car just immediately die out?
Yes,you are correct.Didn't realize you drove it for that long.Any check engine light come on while it was running?
well, the CEL has been on for maybe 2 months, the transmission was always a little jerky and that's what i think the light was pertaining to. so i can't really say for sure if the light would've came on when this happened. i'm going to be running a diagnostic on the car once i get my hands on a code reader, i just wanted to come here and see if anybody could maybe pinpoint the problem with the given information
OK.I think it may be the cam or crank sensor.You should get a code if it is.Sometimes when the cam sensor shorts out she'll still run a bit.The cam and crank sensors would stop spark and fuel.You could try spraying some carb cleaner into the intake.If it tries to run off of it then you'll know you have spark at least.Thanks
Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
Air blowing from heater won't get hot, just Luke warm...but
Air blowing from heater won't get hot, just Luke warm...but real dilemma when I'm not pressing the gas it's like the coolant won't flow to my engine and engine temperature rises. And the temperature g… read more
Steve
Steve
Intermittent problems starting my car..cold-weather
I?m having intermittent problems starting my car. The days that the car had problems it was between 65 and 75 degrees, so it shouldn?t be cold-weather related. The car is a 2006 Saturn Ion2 with a 5-s… read more
IMPORTPRO
IMPORTPRO
8th grade
Nissan: going down..power.. limped to a gas station.. will crank..dies
I have a Nissan Murano.. 2006Sl 78000 miles... going down road car suddenly began loosing power.. limped to a gas station.. will crank but will not run.. give gas it dies and get unburnt gas smell… read more
Mike V.
Mike V.
Auto Service Technician,
Subaru and Nissan factory training.
Stop searching for answers—
2003 VW Jetta: flat tire..bolts..a special anti-theft lug adapter
I''m changing a flat tire on my 2003 VW Jetta--I removed all five wheel bolts (one requiring a special anti-theft lug adapter) but the wheel still didn''t come off...what am I missing here ? is there … read more
acramstr
acramstr
Shop foreman,
1986 mazda: runs fine..I drove it 200 Miles to my new home town
I have a 1981 Triumph Spitfire with a 1986 mazda Rotary 12A.Historically it runs fine, just a little hot. 4 Months ago I drove it 200 Miles to my new home town without problems. Then I had to store it… read more
Rcmslm
Rcmslm
owner of small engine shop,
2001 VW Jetta: overheating..owners manual..hood and saw..coolant level
So my 2001 VW Jetta starting overheating the other day. I stopped the car, checked out the owners manual, looked under the hood and saw that the coolant level was down. The manual said I could add wat… read more
Mike V.
Mike V.
Auto Service Technician,
Subaru and Nissan factory training.
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
2003 Mazda Protege: 2.0 Liter..cleaner..ran a 5/8 tank of gas in it
I have a 2003 Mazda Protege 2.0 Liter. It smokes sometimes at startup a grey or light smoke. I tried some B-12 fuel cleaner in it and ran a 5/8 tank of gas in it. Two days later smoking again. What st… read more
Ms. Wrench
Ms. Wrench
07 STi and I have a rattle in 6th gear..my foot..it goes away..boost
I have an 07 STi and I have a rattle in 6th gear at about 80mph and it seems to be load dependent. I doesn''t do it when my foots off the gas it only does it when I just start putting my foot into the… read more
Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman
96 saturn: seat belt..air bag..entire hood was smashed..windshield
I was in an accident the other day. the driver rear ended a the car in front of us i had a seat belt on but the air bag didn''t deploy it was a 96 saturn sedan....she''s saying it didn''t deploy becau… read more
Shop Foreman / Lead Technician,
ASE Master and L1+ VW Master Techni
98 Jeep cherokee: road (..an hour, the car wold restart and drive
Recently, my 260K 98 Jeep Cherokee's motor began to shut off while driving ... as though it were out of fuel. I would pull off the road (without an incident .. wheew!0 and after waiting anywhere from … read more
Robert
Robert
RV Tech Support,
1968 Chevy Chevelle SS: park/neutral you can rev up the RPMs and it
a rattling noise comes from under my car whenever i give it gas. it sounds like something loose is rattling real bad but if you let off the gas it stops and in park/neutral you can rev up the RPMs and… read more
Ted G.
Ted G.
ASE Certified Technician,
Metro: auto trans..traffic..I didnt bump the shifter..shifting
''96 auto trans geo metro stopped in traffic and it sounded like the trans was stuck in between gears. I didn''t bump the shifter either. I pushed it off the street and began shifting between Park and… read more
Master Mechanic,
Stop searching for answers—
99 Jetta GL: fuel filter has never been changed...serviced
I have a 99 Jetta GL 2.0 4-Door. The fuel filter has never been changed. Everything else that I can think of has been serviced. The car continues to bog down and even backfire from time to time after … read more
ttiger79
ttiger79
Auto Mechanic,
i have a 1997 nissan altima little over hundred thousand ...
i have a 1997 nissan altima little over hundred thousand miles. the car starts good runs good except every now and again will be driving acts like it is running out of gas chugging, realley acting bad… read more
Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench
Owner of LJ Auto Repair 37 years,
98 chrysler: driving down..clunk..tranny..my van started hesitating
I have a '98 chrysler t & c we've been having troubles with for a few months now. At first the transmission went out as i was driving down the road at 2 am, no warning, just a clunk, then it stopped g… read more
Amedee
Amedee
Former ASE Master Tech,
Burnt..a stop sign my car started missing it felt like..wouldnt start
i have had a burnt valve for a couple of weeks, but yesterday at a stop sign my car started missing it felt like. at the next stop sign, it started cutting out, and when i tried to go, it died and wou… read more
Davo
Davo
Master Auto Tech/manager of auto shop,
89 Chevy Cavalier: car until..rough..most noticeable..the car warms up
I have an 89 Chevy Cavalier. It was a great running car until recently when it began running very rough. It seems to be most noticeable when the car warms up. The motor sputters, misses and backfires.… read more
Amedee
Amedee
Former ASE Master Tech,
1997 mitsubishi eclipse: stop light..hesitates..speeds..dealership
I have a 1997 mitsubishi eclipse and recently it feels like it misses when it is just sitting in park. it also misses when I am on a stop light and green light turns on then I go it hesitates it feels… read more
Davo
Davo
Master Auto Tech/manager of auto shop,