Car

2001 saab: acouple of ways to increase the horsepower in my car…

Customer Question
hi, i have a 2001...
hi, i have a 2001 saab 9-5 and i was wondering what is the best way, or acouple of ways to increase the horsepower in my car?... Read full answer
hi, i have a 2001 saab 9-5 and i was wondering what is the best way, or acouple of ways to increase the horsepower in my car?
Submitted: 10 years ago.Category: Car
7/17/2008
Auto Mechanic: Elated Technician, ASE Advanced Master Technician replied 10 years ago
Elated Technician
Elated Technician, ASE Advanced Master Technician

HelloCustomer

I would like to work with you on your Saab question.

I own a Saab 9-5 (Aero) as well. I have tweeked it a little to give it a little extra boost, yet keep the reliability. Here are a few inexpensive things that can be done.

1. Turn the wastegate cotrol rod in Two turns tigher. You will gain a little more boost pressure. You can go so far as to installing a Aero wastegate control (vacuume portion) to acheive even more boost, but you risk damaging the turbo and engine.

2. Keep the car maintained well- use synthetic oil (5w-30), air filter, Premium top Tier fuel (Cheveron, Phillips 66, Shell...) spark plugs gapped correctly...

3. Remove center exhaust resonator and install a straight pipe. This reduces some back pressure and gives a little more free flowing sound.

4. If you want to get more radical you can install a performance chip, boost pressue control, larger turbo etc. I don't recommend it, though. The problem is they change the dynamics enough that the engine life is compromised. It will also stress the drive train and you can expect to go through tires and brakes more often.

If you have any further questions, please reply.

Regards,

Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
Need 2008 Saab 9-5 Wagon Tail light wiring diagram in order
Need 2008 Saab 9-5 Wagon Tail light wiring diagram in order to hook up trailer lighting … read more
Kevin
Kevin
workshop foreman /master tech/mot tester,
Saab 9-5 2.3T: I have a saab 9-5 2001 2.3 turbo. I just installed
I have a saab 9-5 2001 2.3 turbo. I just installed two new batteries in the car alarm. The light on the dash blinks and the alarm chirps when opening the doors with the remote. When I open the trunk f… read more
sprinkles08
sprinkles08
Technician,
2001 Saab: minutes after stopping..slam doors, rock the vehicleor wait
My son's present 2001 Saab has a problem restarting after driving some miles. The Saab will not restart for l5 minutes after stopping. We have to slam doors, rock the vehicleor wait until the car is r… read more
Lead mech,
Some college
Stop searching for answers—
2001 SAAB: block..the bulb (after removing some fluid)..radiator hose
Eric, I'm the guy with the 2001 SAAB 9-5, 2.3T. I just tried the block test, running the car for 15 min or so. Ipumped the bulb (after removing some fluid) until it flattened the upper radiator hose 4… read more
Retired,
N/A
Hi My car a Saab 9-3 2002 5 speed is strange. It starts the
Hi My car a Saab 9-3 2002 5 speed is strange. It starts the most of the time but sometimes it doesn't. I need to wait 15 to 20 minutes to get it to run. Today it stoped midle of the street while waiti… read more
Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly
Auto Mechanic,
2001 Saab: SE...turn over but wont start. It ran fine last night
I have a 2001 Saab 9-5 SE. It will turn over but wont start. It ran fine last night any suggestions?… read more
saabspecialist
saabspecialist
Auto Tech,
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
2008 Saab: base model..the ride with suspension and/or tires changes
Hi, Just bought a 2008 Saab 9-5 base model. The car has a very harsh ride, like a truck. Any way to improve the ride with suspension and/or tires changes? Thanks, Doug… read more
GMTechBernard
GMTechBernard
Owner / Technician,
Saab: i locked my keys in my trunk..convertible..front seat
i locked my keys in my trunk . it's a saab convertible 2007. i got into the front seat but i can't get the trunk to open. is there a way to open the trunk and get the keys… read more
Joe
Joe
Owner Kingsland Auto & Marine Services,
2001 Saab: turbo..radiator, changed the hoses..overheating
I have a 2001 Saab 9-5 with a 3 litre turbo. I had the oil cooler replaced about 4 weeks ago, they flushed the radiator, changed the hoses and thermostat. It has been overheating every few days. I'm b… read more
mike
mike
2001 saab: runs great..miss..i increase the throttle it goes away
i have a 2001 saab 9-5. 90% of the time it runs great,but..........10% of the time it misses at idle in gear and at highway speed it will miss but only at one specific throtlle position ie if i increa… read more
rpmdiag
rpmdiag
High school
2001 Saab 9-3 Viggen: CD player sounds ok) for the 10-15 seconds
On a 2001 Saab 9-3 Viggen, is there a way to remedy a "locking" of the radio after it plays for 10 or 15 seconds when you turn it on? I'm getting a "radio locked" message on the information display. T… read more
Elated Technician
Elated Technician
ASE Advanced Master Technician,
Associates in Automotive and Diesel
2004 9-3 2.0T: convertible..performance tuning to get up to around 270
I own a 2004 9-3 2.0T convertible 6 speed, and am looking for some options regarding performance tuning to get up to around 270-300 hp. What are the most cost effective options?… read more
dan
dan
Stop searching for answers—
2001 SAAB: litre turbo engine..automatic transmission..139,000 kms
I am considering to buy a 2001 SAAB 9-5 with the 3.0 litre turbo engine. I am wondering how long I can expect the turbo to last and if there any expensive problems to be aware of before I buy it. The … read more
Ted the Technician
Ted the Technician
Service Manager,
5 wagon: My son mistakenly left the keys to the car in his pants
I have a 2005 Saab 9-5 wagon. My son mistakenly left the keys to the car in his pants while laudering. Naturally, the remote aspect does not function. However, now the key also fails to start the car.… read more
Your Auto Inspector
Your Auto Inspector
Assistant Service Manager,
In course of study for bachelor's d
2004 Saab: Horsepower..The current 9-5 models have the same engine
I have a 2004 Saab 9-5 with the 2.3T engine putting out 220 Horsepower. The current 9-5 models have the same engine but it delivers 260 Horsepower. Is there a simple, cost effective way to upgrade the… read more
MIKEVIN_BEGGS
MIKEVIN_BEGGS
SERVICE ADVISOR,
Saab 9-5 aero: more horsepower and torque..bore..turbo charger
what makes a saab 9-5 aero have more horsepower and torque then the linear they are the same year same diplacement stroke and bore. Is it just a computer upgrade or a bigger turbo charger?… read more
MIKEVIN_BEGGS
MIKEVIN_BEGGS
SERVICE ADVISOR,
99 SAAB: 3 tomarrow from a less than top of the line car lot
Hi and Thanks ...I'm planning on going to buy a 99 SAAB 9-3 tomarrow from a less than top of the line car lot...Is there anything I should look for to determine if this car is good ? Thanks...mike Opt… read more
Davo
Davo
Master Auto Tech/manager of auto shop,
2001 Saab 9-5 Aero: engine light comes..car starts..high speed..pulls
I have a 2001 Saab 9-5 Aero with 79K miles. Only on highway and after running about two hours, when I let off the gas and then try to accelerate again, the engine light comes on and the car starts fie… read more
Brian W.
Brian W.
Master Auto Technician,