Toyotatech
Toyotatech, Toyota Master Technician
Experience:  19 years experience, ASE Master Tech, Toyota Hybrid Technology Certified
9497312

No Comment Added

Customer Question

No Comment Added
Category: Car
Expert:  Toyotatech replied 9 years ago.
You haven't given much info here but my experience has been that struts don't just rattle unless something is wrong with them. I have found that just replacing the struts also doesn't always take care of the whole problem. I recommend that when you replace struts, do the whole strut (not just the cartridge like sears does) and also replace the upper strut supports and also the bearing in between the strut and support if so equipped. This will guarantee that your entire strut system is in good working order. Finally I recommend springing for an alignment when you're done to be sure everything is back in line.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
I was looking looking for for a cheaper fix, like the bushings are loose and can be tightened or replaced. Thease struts are about $1,000.00.They work just fine and no oil leaks. To just just say replace, is not a answer, if it is worn mounts.
If you have worn supports, then that is the answer to your rattle problem. You didn't give me any of that information before my answer. I was trying to give you the most comprehensive answer that I could for your situation. Considering the age of your car, I would still consider replacing the struts; they don't have to leak oil to be worn out. If you are certain that the struts are fine, then you should be fine to replace just the supports. I never like to replace individual parts of a system on older cars because they wear together. Hopefully you can get away with just the supports; just understand that the labor amount is almost the same for the supports as it is to replace the entire strut. Sorry my answer isn't what you were looking for; I really try to give my customers a straight up answer no matter the consequence. If you are really unhappy, I would be glad to opt out and allow someone else the chance to answer your question. Let me know what you think.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Well you have been nice.I wish I had you on the phone.I don't type, takes me for ever to explain I talked to 3 other owners,they said they just let it rattle,brother in law 80,000 till he sold it
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Call me(NNN) NNN-NNNN
We are not allowed to make personal contact either by phone or e-mail. Please direct all questions through justanswer.com and I will be happy to help.