Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

How do i change the water pump on a 99 mazda 626?

how do i change the water pump on a 99 mazda 626?
7/9/2008
Your Auto Inspector
Your Auto Inspector, Assistant Service Manager

Timing Belt Removal:

graphic

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Remove the crankshaft position sensor.
  3. Remove the P/S oil pump with the pipe still connected.
  4. Remove the spark plug.
  5. Remove in the order indicated in the table.

Water Pump Removal:

graphic

graphic

1. Drain the engine coolant.
  2. Remove in the order indicated in the table.
  3. Install in the reverse order of removal.

Installation:

Set the tensioner in place and hand tighten the tensioner upper bolt.

graphic

Turn the camshafts clockwise and align the timing marks.

graphic

• Using the crankshaft pulley bolt, turn the crankshaft clockwise and align the timing marks.
  • graphic

1. With the No. 1 idler pulley removed, install the timing belt on the pulleys in the order shown below.
    1. Timing belt pulley
    2. No.2 idler pulley
    3. Camshaft pulley (1-1-1)
    4. Tensioner pulley
    5. Camshaft pulley (Right-Hand)
    1. Verify that there is tension between pulleys (3) and (1), and between pulleys (1) and (5). Caution:
      • Verify that the belt has no looseness at the tension side.
      • Do not damage the bolt threads when installing

Install the No.1 idler while applying the pressure on the timing belt.

graphic

Push the auto tensioner in the direction of the arrow and hand tighten the lower bolt. Tighten the bolts.

graphic

• Remove the pin from the auto tensioner to apply tension to the belt.
  • Turn the crankshaft clockwise twice, and align the timing marks.
  • graphic

Verify that all timing marks are correctly aligned. If not, remove the timing belt and repeat from Timing Belt Auto Tensioner Installation Note

graphic

Hold the crankshaft by using the Special Service Tool (SST)

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to assist you.

Your Auto Inspector
    Your Auto Inspector
    Your Auto Inspector