OnlineHelp
OnlineHelp, Mechanic
Experience:  Mechanic
9051600

Have a 2004 Toyota Sienna LX with 53,000 miles. Hearing ...

Have a 2004 Toyota Sienna LX with 53,000 miles. Hearing noise seemingly in front left, replaced original worn tires at 39,000 miles. Now new tires only have 13,000 miles and noise is worse - front left tire slightly worn. Dealer service manager puts all blame on tires but has replaced right front wheel bearing, rotated front left tire to back right, tried new tires on front - small change in noise. SM says doesn''t know what else to do except put all new tires on. We still have 22,000 miles warranty left on car.
Category: Car
Expert:  OnlineHelp replied 9 years ago.

Hello and thank you for choosing Just Answer.

If the noise changed when the tire was replaced, would indicate that the noise is being produced by the tires. I would have all four tires changed and balanced then have the car re-alinged.

I would also ask the SM, to check all the bushing and make sure everything is in tact. You really need to use the warranty while you still have it.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
we have replaced front tires,if we replace the back also and still have the noise, what then?

Get the rear tires also, and have the car aligned. Have them do a full aligment on the car.

That should help the problem. If not they will have to start checking the bushings and mounts and tie rods ends.

Also if the noise is coming from the left, why did they replace the right wheel bearing. I would also have them change the left wheel bearing.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
sorry - the left front bearing was replaced. this is what they did: frt axle hub disc brk, 1-side R&R,hub sub-assy. fr axl, nut, lock, bearing, radial ball. this was done under the warranty.
Did they do an aligment after all the work?
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
they said they did. They also did front brake pads and completed adjustments same day. We paid for brake job.

Well it really sounds like the S/M is trying to fix this problem. I would have the tires replaced, then have the car aligned (full aligment).

That really should solve the problem. I am convinced the noise is produced by the tire(s), if you still have the noise have them check the tie-rods and the bushings.